Respected Contributor

Re: What is your favorite historical romance novel?

"Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. If anyone reading this is a fan of Francine Rivers she has a new romance theme book coming out in February 2018. Also read "Flame and The Flower" so many years ago. Remember not being able to put it down.
Contributor

Several but latest are Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Also the Poldark series by Winston Graham

Honored Contributor

must add Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers. Whew. I fell madly in love with Steve (Esteban). Romance at its finest. I have RR autograph somewhere!

Trusted Contributor

My fav historical fiction is a book I read over 50 years ago.

Desiree by Annnemarie Selinko. Setting is France in the Napoleonic era.
Respected Contributor

Gone With The Wind.

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie  Me, too. That was my first choice on this thread.

Regular Contributor

I agree that anything by Michener is a good read, also the Outlander series of books.  Philippa Gregory writes great Tutor historic fiction novels.  Ken Follet's "World Without End" and it's sequel were great and he has a new one coming out.  John Jake's if you like US history.  Sara Donati's Wilderness Series.

Respected Contributor

@Tweetybrd wrote:
Centennial is the book I read when I was 18-ish which is the book that got me started reading. I loved it and then I read many of James Micheners books. Those are the kind of books I'm looking for. thank you

Check out Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd.  It covers the lives of people in the Stonehenge and Salisbury Plain area over thousands of years.  It's so good!

Esteemed Contributor

The first book that came to mind was Gone with the Wind.

The second book was The Good Earth. Although many wouldn't think of it as a romance, I think it qualifies because of the abiding love that O-Lan had for Wang, from the day they met until the day she died. He treated her poorly but yet she did everything for him, I believe, because she loved him so much.

Also, I might add, The Good Earth is my favorite book of all time!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

The first book that came to mind was Gone with the Wind.

The second book was The Good Earth. Although many wouldn't think of it as a romance, I think it qualifies because of the abiding love that O-Lan had for Wang, from the day they met until the day she died. He treated her poorly but yet she did everything for him, I believe, because she loved him so much.

Also, I might add, The Good Earth is my favorite book of all time!

Both excellent books.  I think I first read GWTW when I was a junior in HS.  I was embarrassed by the bodice-ripper cover but that didn't stop me from surreptitiously reading it during biology.  It might be the only book that I reread several times.  I was so impressed with The Good Earth, too.  @sunala