Esteemed Contributor

What did I miss in this book? "Beloved"

So many of you read, Beloved. I checked it out of the Library Saturday and found it disappointing, at best. Such a dark storyline. Will you please explain what you enjoyed about the book and why? Poverty and death are written about often with compassion, which brings the joy of living to the surface. I didn't feel it from this book. Nor did I find an exceptionally strong female character in this book, which is what I had expected. TIA   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: What did I miss in this book? "Beloved"

[ Edited ]

I've requested this from our library.  I'm "2" on the list.  I'm often disappointed with books/movies that get so much hype.  Was reading "Educated" by Tara Westover.  Got half way through and could not finish it.  What a dysfunctional family.

Respected Contributor

Depression plus ➕➕➕ but that’s just me...

Esteemed Contributor

@Spacrazy  It's such a small book, I should have read it in one evening. Instead, I had to force myself to read the book. That's a first.

There have been other books in Oprah's Book Club that have been almost as rough to get through. Perhaps she and I don't find the same joys in life? LOL 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady I know exactly what you mean but I persevered thinking each page will be different. It’s been so long ago but I remember it “stayed” with me for a while.

i really like your perspective on her work and will keep that in mind the next time I read it. Yes, I love to re-read my books!

Cheers

Honored Contributor

saw the movie and thought it was excellent.

a rollercoaster of emotions for sure.

was surprised at the ending......a good surprise though.....

have to now go back and read the book.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not supposed to be a "joyful" book. Many books are not!

And I'm okay with that.

(added later: I used the word "joyful" because BirkiLady commented that  Oprah sometimes has a different concept of "joys" than other people.)

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I've requested this from our library.  I'm "2" on the list.  I'm often disappointed with books/movies that get so much hype.  Was reading "Educated" by Tara Westover.  Got half way through and could not finish it.  What a dysfunctional family.

@kaydee50  I read Educated too.  "Dysfunctional" is the understatement of the century.  I did finish the book but I reached the point where I felt like I became almost immune to the catastrophes that befell these people.  One thing after another after another after another.  Every time I thought nothing more could possibly go wrong............

Honored Contributor

@judy0330  Well, I could have used a stronger/different word to describe that family!  I actually felt that it was a work of fiction because of all the stuff that happened in a relatively short time but supposedly it is a true story.  Oh well, I hope Beloved is better!

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@judy0330  Well, I could have used a stronger/different word to describe that family!  I actually felt that it was a work of fiction because of all the stuff that happened in a relatively short time but supposedly it is a true story.  Oh well, I hope Beloved is better!

@kaydee  I have to tell you that I had the exact same reaction -- wondering if all of it is true.