Respected Contributor

What book have you quit before finishing?

For me: Barracoon by Hurston (NYT best seller list)

Leonardo Da Vinci by Isaacson (NYT best seller list)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What book have you quit before finishing?

I have never done this.   I have read books that just killed me to get through but I did finish.  I have a problem with leaving things not completed!     Good question.

Respected Contributor

Many, many books. I give myself about 40 pages and if it does not grab me I'm done. This is not school.

Respected Contributor

@granddi The only one that I remember is Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver.

It was just too depressing to keep reading.

Trusted Contributor

Not long ago, the book Cutting for Stone.  I regretted it, because I was interested in the plot line, but it had just too much graphic descriptions of surgical procedures, etc.  I believe the author is a doctor, so that could explain it, but it was just too much for me, and I couldn't continue with it.

If I were my younger self, I'm sure that wouldn't have deterred me in the least.  I could read anything, even gruesome descriptions of things (I was actually very much into nonfiction about serial killers, at once point.)

But with age, I have just become more sensitive, I guess. I  have a hard time watching things like that in movies and television, as well.  I have to turn my head, cover my eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

Books I quit reading:

Monkeewrench by PJ Tracy. Strange book, characters not interesting, who names a business Monkeewrench? 

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gayle Honeyman. The book was reviewed as being funny and uplifting. Not even close. I quit when the main character started stalking a singer. I think I'm in the minority, though, as many liked it. 

"Middlemarch" by George Eliot. Boring and difficult to read. Could be a cure for insomnia. 

I don't mind giving up on a book when I feel I'm wasting my time reading it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Shipping News...hated that book 

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47. I loved that book.

That's why I like reading so much....there is something for everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Shipping News...hated that book 

@Travone , Same.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Too many to remember!  If it doesn't grab me within 75 pages (used to be 50) then I don't finish it. Also too many poorly written and edited books being released.