Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

John Sandford has a new Virgil Flowers book out October 1 this year: Bloody Genius. Our library doesn't have it yet, but I plan on placing the book on hold as soon as it's available. I think Kindle might have it for sale now, for those interested. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

I finished THE PERFECT  WIFE, by JP Delaney, a very interesting book. Think Artificial technology with upscale technology.  The author also goes into Autism, and from reading I know she has an a son who is affected with Autism. This book would be an interesting discussion about several subjects. I enjoyed this book it made you think,about what happened . The book goes in different versions/ views. What Abbey thinks, what the office thinks, what others think. I don’t want to give away anything, I like to go into a book cold. Anyone up for a separate forum  for a debate?

Valued Contributor

@KentuckyWoman 

I began reading A Better Man by Louise Penny yesterday.

So good to revisit Three Pines and all of those familiar inhabitants. I think I would read Penny's work even if there were no crimes to solve!!!!

Frequent Contributor

I just finished a series if six books by Kendra Elliot featuring Mercy , FBI agent, and Police chief, Truman Daly from a small town in central Oregon.  It was interesting to see how the cases of local police and the FBI related to each other.  The last book was the best.

IMy copy of QUEEN  BEE by Dorothea Benton Frank finally arrived at the library.  I am ready for a little lighter reading.

Trusted Contributor

@squeaks wrote:

I just finished a series if six books by Kendra Elliot featuring Mercy , FBI agent, and Police chief, Truman Daly from a small town in central Oregon.  It was interesting to see how the cases of local police and the FBI related to each other.  The last book was the best.

IMy copy of QUEEN  BEE by Dorothea Benton Frank finally arrived at the library.  I am ready for a little lighter reading.

@squeaks  I just read yesterday on my Bookreporters.com newsletter that Dorothea Benton Frank just passed away. I was very surprised. It sounded like she was much beloved in the writing community. So I guess Queen Bee will be her last book. I have only read a few of her books but I have enjoyed them. It's always so sad to learn that there will be no more coming in the future.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Betty Rowland's Murder on a Winter Afternoon, another Melissa Craig mystery.  As with the others, I always learn something new.  This book focused on valuable stolen art work encased behind the work of a local artist.  The gallery was using mulberry tissue with special adhesives to protect the painting while it is being handled.  Then, a heavier canvas is put over the original master and protected by the mulberry tissue.

The book is about an author who discovers this, is murdered, and Mel is commissioned to complete the author's almost-finished novel.  Another good book.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

More books from the library:

1. The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar (3+ Stars)

2. Devotion by Madeline Stevens (1 Star)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

@Desert Lily  “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith?!That was my favorite book growing up many, many years ago. Saw the movie years later. Enjoy.

Valued Contributor

New here.

Reading “The Gifted School” by Bruce Holsinger. The competition among friends to get their  child into the newest school for the gifted. Many characters and chapters rotate. Need to be gifted to follow along. LOL.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

John Sandford has a new Virgil Flowers book out October 1 this year: Bloody Genius. Our library doesn't have it yet, but I plan on placing the book on hold as soon as it's available. I think Kindle might have it for sale now, for those interested. 

@teganslaw 

I was just going to say it is about time!  I checked and my library has it on order and I am #234 on the hold list.