Honored Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

'Missing 411' by David Paulides

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori,

don't you hate when that happens??  I've started books, practically salivating, and about 50 pages in, ugh.  Chelsea Girls was the latest.  Read other Fiona Davis books and loved them.  Didn't feel the same way with CG.

I'm 1/2 thru Educated.  Yikes, what a life this woman had growing up.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

I have wrapped up Force of Nature by Jane Harper. I gave this book five stars on goodreads. It was fast paced and kept me turning the pages to see what was happening next. Each chapter alternated between the woman who had participated in a team bonding event for their job, in which one of them comes up missing, and the search to find out the truth as to what had happened during this weekend event.

This is the second book in the Aaron Falk series and I look forward to reading more about him.

Next up will be Assassins by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. 

@icezeus 

Do you review on GR?  Woudl ike to read your reviews and it would be easy to manage...Jane and I have already friended one another.  If you're up for it.

Force of Nature is still at the top of my best books of the year.

@LoriLori 

I do review on GR. However, I am not a consistent reviewer. I tend to only review books that I really loved or really hated. LOL.

I have never friended anyone on GR, but I will try to see if I can figure out how to friend you. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus  let's try it, I'd love to read your reviews and if you don't like the friend thing unfriend me, that's fine, I'm easy (kinda).

This goes for all:

Just let me know in the "message" part who you are because I turn down most friend requests and I welcome anyone from this forum.

The easiest way to find someone, as long as you know their nic and pic is by the last book they reviewed, which in my case is Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts.  (Which, ahem, is not true, she doesn't.)

My nic is Lori (yay!  and it's Lori on Amazon and I wish it was Lori on here) and my pic is a painting of a woman reading.  

Let's try it.  I love reading people's reviews.

p.s.  being pretty new to the friend thing on GR, i've found too high a percentage of people's pics impossibly good-looking. 

And just last week I learned a man whose picture I've found quite pleasing since we've been friends, who shows up a lot on my feed --, just learned it's actually a pic of Clint Eastwood. 

Hah!  I had no clue.  Clint Eastwood was a handsome man.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus  let's try it, I'd love to read your reviews and if you don't like the friend thing unfriend me, that's fine, I'm easy (kinda).

This goes for all:

Just let me know in the "message" part who you are because I turn down most friend requests and I welcome anyone from this forum.

The easiest way to find someone, as long as you know their nic and pic is by the last book they reviewed, which in my case is Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts.  (Which, ahem, is not true, she doesn't.)

My nic is Lori (yay!  and it's Lori on Amazon and I wish it was Lori on here) and my pic is a painting of a woman reading.  

Let's try it.  I love reading people's reviews.

p.s.  being pretty new to the friend thing on GR, i've found too high a percentage of people's pics impossibly good-looking. 

And just last week I learned a man whose picture I've found quite pleasing since we've been friends, who shows up a lot on my feed --, just learned it's actually a pic of Clint Eastwood. 

Hah!  I had no clue.  Clint Eastwood was a handsome man.

Yes, he was.

lori, I read The Honey Bus I really enjoyed it. Well written. I loved the grandpa. (I think we were supposed to, lol) What a kind, patient guy. I have found a new respect for bees. I will test it the next time one comes near me. He won't sting me, he won't sting me. So funny about how the queen gets impregnated. Sorry, but I found it funny. 

So, back to my mysteries! Quite a stretch!

Thanks

Honored Contributor

The Vexations, by Caitlin Horrocks;

Aunt Dimity's Christmas, by Nancy Atherton;       bk. 5
A Gathering Place (Cape Light) by Thomas Kinkade & Katherine Spencer;         bk. 3

The Last Widow, by Karin Slaughter.  Starts out fast and furious with many different perspectives of the same event.  You must really be on your game to keep up.  As far as the book I am not sure yet only half through the read.  Some parts I agree with and some I do not, such as the country is being ruined by white christian men.  There is evil in all walks of life and such as the book My Lovely Wife you do not have to be a man to be evil.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I hardly ever buy a book, but I made an exception for Ice Cold Heart (P. J. Tracy), the next in the Monkeewrench series.   I think it's going to be a page turner.

@smoky22  - I read it this weekend, and it was good.  Roadrunner takes a lead role in this book, which was nice.  I liked the new Ann Cleeves book, "THE LONG CALL."  I found it to be similar to the Shetland books.  Next up for me is the new Louise Penny book.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline 

Hi, Jud!  So glad to hear you loved THE HONEY BUS.  Such a wonderful book.  And yes, it's good to be the queen...until it's not LOL.

Respected Contributor

I recently finished The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth.  It's about a 38 year old woman in the early stages of Alzheimer's.  Her family places her in an assisted living facility.  All of the residents are elderly except for one man around her age who also has a form of dementia.  After the first few chapters I wasn't sure I could continue with this book because it's very emotional and I lost a parent to Alzheimer's.  But as new characters were introduced it became more interesting with many side stories.  My eyes teared up many times while reading this book but I'm glad I finished it.   

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished all 12 of the Melissa Craig Mysteries by Betty Rowlands.  All were very good and I always learned somethng new while reading them.  Book 12, Murder in A Country Garden, was interesting as I learned a few things about bee keeping.  Most significant was that bees are attracted to the smell of bananas, but not in a good way.  Isoamyl acetate occurs naturally in the banana plant and can also be produced synthetically.   It is produced in a honey bee sting, which attracts other bees, and provokes them to sting.  We hear of this when swarms of bees attacks.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!