Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

So many good books this month.  Will have to come back and make a list.  I am reading The Spy amd the Traitor which is off to a great start.  LM

Valued Contributor

Started Ann Patchett's The Dutch House.

I'm not far enough to have an opinion, though.

Honored Contributor

@kinda silly wrote:

This and I can’t get it out of my head. 😱

Lock Every Door, br Riley Sager.

@kinda silly I am on the list for this one. Can't wait to read it! It has really good reviews!

Contributor

It’s worth the wait.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus 

While you're reading "The Lost Man" or after, do google "lonely graves" (which is what they're really called in The Outback.  It's incredible, your heart will be in  your throat.  And people take walking tours of them.  Highgate Cemetery yes, lonely graves, last thing I'd want to vacation seeing!  

Hope you love the book as much as I did!  

@LoriLori 

I am actually going on vacation to Australia for two weeks next year. I will make sure to read the book before I leave. 

@icezeus   There's some fantastic writing coming out of Australia now so maybe pop into a bookstore if you can?  (Take a break from the giant spiders? OMG you brave woman) and get something that won't be published here for another year or two.  I have some Aussie friends on GR and they're reading great stuff, all kinds of genres, that won't be out here until...?

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori 

Sorry to hear your not feeling well, and I hope that you feel better soon. I can't believe that you are behind in your reading. I have seen several of your reviews pop up over the last few weeks on Goodreads. If this is what you call behind, I can only imagine how many books you read when all cylinders are firing. 

@icezeus  I am way behind and falling asleep and at least now I know why but it took me a long time to understand this thing about GR:  Someone can find a review you wrote five years ago and "like" it and it makes the rounds of all your friends plus all their friends or whatever. 

So it's old reviews going around and around and at first I was embarrassed by it LOL but now I just go, okay, mmmm hmmmm.

Every review you've seen except "Tuesday Mooney" and "Lolita" which I wrote spontaneously are old, some quite old!  Sorry!

Honored Contributor

@SWEET 

I have added friends on GR

I have gone up in "rank" on GR

I have still not won a single freaking book on GR since what, two years ago?  Not one!!!

I give up.

How are you doing on it?

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori 

Sorry to hear your not feeling well, and I hope that you feel better soon. I can't believe that you are behind in your reading. I have seen several of your reviews pop up over the last few weeks on Goodreads. If this is what you call behind, I can only imagine how many books you read when all cylinders are firing. 

@icezeus  I am way behind and falling asleep and at least now I know why but it took me a long time to understand this thing about GR:  Someone can find a review you wrote five years ago and "like" it and it makes the rounds of all your friends plus all their friends or whatever. 

So it's old reviews going around and around and at first I was embarrassed by it LOL but now I just go, okay, mmmm hmmmm.

Every review you've seen except "Tuesday Mooney" and "Lolita" which I wrote spontaneously are old, some quite old!  Sorry!

@LoriLori 

Oh, Ok. I did not know that. I have learned something new today. (smile) 

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET 

I have added friends on GR

I have gone up in "rank" on GR

I have still not won a single freaking book on GR since what, two years ago?  Not one!!!

I give up.

How are you doing on it?

@LoriLori, not sure where to find the rank on GR.  I found it once then I forgot about it. 

I won a book finally this month after a 3 month drought.  I keep trying and will not give up even though I have so many books I've  yet to read.

Esteemed Contributor

Mixed bag the last couple of weeks:

On Division by Goldie Goldbloom 3 stars. Story of a very large and religious Hassidic Jewish family living in Brooklyn.

Turbulence by David Szalay 2 stars. Short book about a woman on a flight who meets her seatmate and they chat. Next chapter that first woman is gone (for the time being) and the chapter is about the male seatmate and where he's traveling. And so on, but you get to know what happens to every character by the end. Now that I think about it, I'm changing the rating to 3 stars. I did like it!

One Last Thing by Nancy Rue and Rebecca St. James. One star. Not even worth explaining. Stupid book! I pulled the bookmark twice and finally the third time I read it quickly and then deleted it from my Kindle. But I shouldn't have finished it at all. It deserved no stars but on Goodreads you have to give it at least one.

Redemption by David Baldacci 1 star. The fifth book in his Memory Man series. I wonder who wrote it? I'm pretty sure it wasn't David Baldacci. Maybe one of his ghost writers. I pulled the bookmark a few times but then because I wanted to read this installment to find out what happened, I finished it. One star was all it deserved. So disappointed.

And I saved the best for last. I don't know if I wrote about this before, but Five Stars to Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout. LOVED IT!

"My Name is Lucy Barton" written by Elizabeth Strout will be opening on Broadway in January. Honestly, I hated that book (child abuse), and I have no intention of buying tickets for it. I'm pretty sure I gave it no stars.

Today I started Lock Every Door. So far I'm enjoying it. I have several library books on my Kindle that will expire soon so I'd better get busy!

Happy reading, everyone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett