Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

I have 50 pages left in a 450 page book Knife by Jo Nesbo.  I am usually a big fan of this series but, this one, not so much.  I found the first half of the book so predictable.  Poor abandoned alcoholic Harry Hole.  2/3rds into the book it got good again and now it is just so so.  I may be over this series.

I know there is a surprise coming.  Unless it is spectacular, I wouldn’t give this book more than 3/5.  Kind of disappointing.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I have 50 pages left in a 450 page book Knife by Jo Nesbo.  I am usually a big fan of this series but, this one, not so much.  I found the first half of the book so predictable.  Poor abandoned alcoholic Harry Hole.  2/3rds into the book it got good again and now it is just so so.  I may be over this series.

I know there is a surprise coming.  Unless it is spectacular, I wouldn’t give this book more than 3/5.  Kind of disappointing.  LM

@Lilysmom 

Either last year or the year before they were making one of his books "The Snowman" into a movie. I had never heard of Jo Nesbo, but I wanted to read the book. I read the book and loved it. I then found out that it was part of a series, so I wanted to start from the beginning. I read the first two books and then I was just over the alcoholism.  

I abandoned the series. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Outfox by Sandra Brown, lots of detail but not hard to follow, I enjoyed it very much!

Next up, The Better Sister by Alafair Burke, will start tomorrow, as my eyes are tired from reading all day.

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

@AuntG- thank you for your welcome and your kind words. I also don't comment much but really like to read what others have to say.

i want to send you a heart but have to figure out how to do it!

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus , the storyline is becoming so repetitive.  I really liked The Snowman but I don’t look forward to Jo Nesbo’s books like I used to.  Although not in the same way, it reminds of of James Patterson’s fall from grace when he started writing books with other authors.  Hate when that happens!  I don’t buy his books anymore.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I finished This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger.  This is a beautifully written coming-of-age book set during the depression.  It is the story of four children who are on the run.  The book starts at an abusive Indian school in Minnesota.  That is a terrible situation for the children and after some awful events they take off in a canoe down the Gilead River.  The rest of the book is about their journey looking for "home."

I love this author and have read all his books.  I highly recommend this book and all of his others.  

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I hardly ever buy a book, but I made an exception for Ice Cold Heart (P. J. Tracy), the next in the Monkeewrench series.   I think it's going to be a page turner.

I bought it, too, because my library does not have a copy.  I love that series.  I haven't read it yet because I have Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (from NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast) and The Summer of '69 on loan from the library and must read them first.

Trusted Contributor

I recently read The Chelsea Girls by Fiona Davis.  This is set in the Chelsea Hotel in New York during the McCarthy era in the 1950's.  The main characters are in show business and caught up in the politics of the Red Scare.  

I thought this book was OK, but not great.  I liked her other books very much and recommend all of those very highly.  I'd skip this one unless the era interests you.  

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 I've read two of the authors you mentioned. Often times, it's the location that leads me to a book. Upper Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota are locales I can relate to. The mysteries by Victoria Houston describe my favorite vacation area accurately.