Respected Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

I just finished The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen.  Josie and Frank seem to have a happy marriage with 2 young daughters.  One morning when Josie borrows her husband's phone to make a quick call she see nine words that shatter her world.  She thought this relationship would last forever but now she is plunging ahead to uncover the extent of her husband's devastating secret.  This is the first book I've read by this author and it's really good. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

I have wrapped up Force of Nature by Jane Harper. I gave this book five stars on goodreads. It was fast paced and kept me turning the pages to see what was happening next. Each chapter alternated between the woman who had participated in a team bonding event for their job, in which one of them comes up missing, and the search to find out the truth as to what had happened during this weekend event.

This is the second book in the Aaron Falk series and I look forward to reading more about him.

Next up will be Assassins by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. 

@icezeus-  I read Jane Harper's first Aaron Falk book, The Dry, and I LOVED it. Five stars. The one you just read and loved, Force of Nature, I hated. I think I gave it one star. I couldn't find one character I liked, and I actually didn't care if they all died on the camping trip! However, the third book, The Lost Man, was another five star book. I wasn't sure I'd like it when I first started reading it, but once I got into it, I literally couldn't put it down. I look forward to more of her books.

@sunalaI enjoyed "The Dry" but I found "Force of Nature" more compelling. I was hard pressed to put it down.   I laughed out loud when you stated that  you would not have cared if they all died on the camping trip. I have heard good things about "The Lost Man" and I look forward to reading it at some point in the future. 

@icezeus   "The Lost Man" is IMO her best, and one of my favorite books of 2019.  

Honored Contributor

Finished Elizabeth Berg's CONFESSION CLUB and it's so heartwarming.

Don't know why people complain when a series ends on a little cliffhanger.  It's part of the deal.

Honored Contributor

Now reading

A POLAR AFFAIR by Lloyd Spencer. 

I'll let the publisher describe this one:

"George Murray Levick was the physician on Robert Falcon Scott’s tragic Antarctic expedition of 1910. Marooned for an Antarctic winter, Levick passed the time by becoming the first man to study penguins up close. His findings were so shocking to Victorian morals that they were quickly suppressed and seemingly lost to history."

Penguins?  Shocking?  Shocking!  

and I'm caught up enough that I can read my own books again so back to:

SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES by Caitlin Doughty

Earlier I read a sentence where she says most subway drivers will kill three people in their careers and what a shame it is that someone with an otherwise good, secure job should be saddled with that. 

She was attending to the corpose of a guy who jumped in front of the BART tracks when she looked into it.  

What a smart and entertaining lady and what a heart she has.

Honored Contributor

Also read a very clever Kindle novella, it may be free but I paid $1.99 and it's worth more than some $20 books:

"ONE-STAR REVIEW" by R.E. Sargent

Very loosely based on the story of Kathleen Hale, who was so incensed by a one-star review that she stalked the person who wrote it and got caught.  An ugly mess.

Sargent's author is a top bestselling mystery writer who writes under a pseudonym who is so enraged by one-star reviews she becomes a serial killer, tracking down and killing those reviewers.  He's given her clever access to their personal information and it's ironic and fun.

I give one star regularly but I'm not scared, especially since Kathleen Hale's stalking went viral and she sunk her battleship.

I don't like E-reading but I loved this novella and immediately bought the prequel. 

Honored Contributor

I just finished SHE WAS THE QUIET ONE, by Michele Campbell. It was really, really good. I loved it. I am now onto NOT THAT I COULD TELL, by Jessica Strawser....... 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN Good to know She was the quiet one was good, I have requested it!

I think you will enjoy Not that I Could tell, I enjoyed it!

g

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN Good to know She was the quiet one was good, I have requested it!

I think you will enjoy Not that I Could tell, I enjoyed it!

g

@CareBears . You will really like The Quiet One. It was really good... I am glad to know Not that I could Tell is good too. Plan on starting it tomorrow!

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Long Call by Ann Cleeves and I’m sorry to say that I can’t really say anything about it! I know someone earlier on this thread liked it, so I would defer to her review.  I can only say that Audible is not the way to go. It’s not that the narrator is bad.  He just doesn’t have a compelling voice and it’s hard to get/stay focused.  Many negative Audible reviews about him.  But, I’ve had worse narrators that made me hate the book - he was not that.  Shrug.

Valued Contributor

@Catty2  Hi, I am reading THE TWO  LILA  BENNETTS, ,y Liz Fenton and  Lisa Seinfeld  it is really  a good book, I still have not figured things out yet, like it when you have to read to find out, if your guess may be right! Actually I started writing this but I mixed up my authors that’s why I directed it to you. Oh well....