Trusted Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

I started a new cozy mystery series by Jenn McKinlay. It's her Library Lover's mystery series. I just finished the 1st 2 books Books Can Be Deceiving and Due or Die. Due or Die's mystery happens during a big snow storm so it was a nice change from the current mini heat-wave currently hitting. It helped cool me off! LOL! The characters are likable. Yes the 'love story' is obvious but it wasn't obnoxious. 

I have the next couple books on hold at my library. I look forward to continuing the series. 

This author has a separate mystery series that I have read several called the Cupcake Bakery mystery series. I read several then took a break of it. I see now there are several more in the series. Since this author is a good light cozy mystery writer I may try the cupcake series again in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus  let's try it, I'd love to read your reviews and if you don't like the friend thing unfriend me, that's fine, I'm easy (kinda).

This goes for all:

Just let me know in the "message" part who you are because I turn down most friend requests and I welcome anyone from this forum.

The easiest way to find someone, as long as you know their nic and pic is by the last book they reviewed, which in my case is Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts.  (Which, ahem, is not true, she doesn't.)

My nic is Lori (yay!  and it's Lori on Amazon and I wish it was Lori on here) and my pic is a painting of a woman reading.  

Let's try it.  I love reading people's reviews.

p.s.  being pretty new to the friend thing on GR, i've found too high a percentage of people's pics impossibly good-looking. 

And just last week I learned a man whose picture I've found quite pleasing since we've been friends, who shows up a lot on my feed --, just learned it's actually a pic of Clint Eastwood. 

Hah!  I had no clue.  Clint Eastwood was a handsome man.

@LoriLori 

Hi Lori, I sent you a friend request and I made sure to let you know who I am in the little drop down menu. 

Hope you are not disappointed. As I mentioned I do not review that much, and I actually rarely read reviews unless I am on the fence about reading a book. :-) 

Honored Contributor

A Week in Winter - Marcia Willett - just discovered this writer.  She has a writing style which reminds me of Maeve Binchy -- my favorite writer. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy - I've read all of Jenn McKinlay's cozy mysteries too, and I like her Library Lovers series much better than the Cupcake Bakery ones, which tend to get silly as they go along.  I really like her Hat Shop mystery series, which is very cute and set in London, one of my favorite cities.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I have wrapped up Force of Nature by Jane Harper. I gave this book five stars on goodreads. It was fast paced and kept me turning the pages to see what was happening next. Each chapter alternated between the woman who had participated in a team bonding event for their job, in which one of them comes up missing, and the search to find out the truth as to what had happened during this weekend event.

This is the second book in the Aaron Falk series and I look forward to reading more about him.

Next up will be Assassins by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. 

@icezeus-  I read Jane Harper's first Aaron Falk book, The Dry, and I LOVED it. Five stars. The one you just read and loved, Force of Nature, I hated. I think I gave it one star. I couldn't find one character I liked, and I actually didn't care if they all died on the camping trip! However, the third book, The Lost Man, was another five star book. I wasn't sure I'd like it when I first started reading it, but once I got into it, I literally couldn't put it down. I look forward to more of her books.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

I have wrapped up Force of Nature by Jane Harper. I gave this book five stars on goodreads. It was fast paced and kept me turning the pages to see what was happening next. Each chapter alternated between the woman who had participated in a team bonding event for their job, in which one of them comes up missing, and the search to find out the truth as to what had happened during this weekend event.

This is the second book in the Aaron Falk series and I look forward to reading more about him.

Next up will be Assassins by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. 

@icezeus-  I read Jane Harper's first Aaron Falk book, The Dry, and I LOVED it. Five stars. The one you just read and loved, Force of Nature, I hated. I think I gave it one star. I couldn't find one character I liked, and I actually didn't care if they all died on the camping trip! However, the third book, The Lost Man, was another five star book. I wasn't sure I'd like it when I first started reading it, but once I got into it, I literally couldn't put it down. I look forward to more of her books.

@sunalaI enjoyed "The Dry" but I found "Force of Nature" more compelling. I was hard pressed to put it down.   I laughed out loud when you stated that  you would not have cared if they all died on the camping trip. I have heard good things about "The Lost Man" and I look forward to reading it at some point in the future. 

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I recently read The Most Fun We Ever Had.  Story of the relationships between four sisters.  It is debut novel for Claire Lombardo.  I loved her style of writing.  It was the best book I have read in quite awhile.  

@DiAnne, I am having the hardest time getting into this book!  It got good reviews; waited couple weeks to get at Library.  I keep flipping back to cover to reread which sister is that again?  Thx for good review!  Will continue readingWoman Happy

Super Contributor

Hi Everyone.

I'm a retired college librarian. This is my favorite topic.  I just finished The Protectors by Jolynn Angelini. This is her first novel. It's a thriller. Loved it, loved it. Chapters are short and there is an interesting ending. 

I'm really looking forward to being part of QVC blogs and forums. 

Trusted Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@FindingMyJoy - I've read all of Jenn McKinlay's cozy mysteries too, and I like her Library Lovers series much better than the Cupcake Bakery ones, which tend to get silly as they go along.  I really like her Hat Shop mystery series, which is very cute and set in London, one of my favorite cities.

Thank you. I haven't yet tried the Hat Shop series so I'll look forward to trying it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished The Assassins (book #6) by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.  I actually enjoyed this book much more than I did Book 5 in this 13 part series.

Do you ever have a book home from the Library,  open it up and read two or three pages and just decide that you are not in the mood to read it. That's what happened to me earlier today. I wanted to start The force by Don Winslow  but I just changed my mind. I will drop it off at the Library in the morning on the way to work. 

I have three books home from the Library right now, but I am in the mood for something light and frivolous. I am going to read Reckless Abandon by Stuart Woods.