Super Contributor

Re: ~What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2019~

[ Edited ]

I have placed a hold for The Mother In Law since the book was highly recommended on this forum. While I am waiting, I thought I would try another book by Sally Hepworth. I chose The Things We Keep. The book is about two young people that have early onset dementia and are placed in a  residential care place facility. They meet and fall in love but family intervenes and tries to keep them apart. As their disease progresses, they can't remember each other's names just know they belong together and find comfort in each other's company. The night nurse and cook override family's objections and let the couple see each other. The book was well written but a very depressing subject matter. I wouldn't recommend this book. I will try another book of hers and make a decision about this author. There is a loooong waiting period for The Mother In Law.

Esteemed Contributor

@texassunflower ,thanks for your review.  I lost a sister at the age of 59 to early onset Alzheimer’s.  Just can’t go there.  Heartbreaking.  LM

Respected Contributor

@texassunflower  I read The Mother in Law and really liked it (kind of surprised me that I did).  I don't know why it's billed as a thriller since it's more of a domestic drama.  It sounds like the book you read is in the same vein.  I think Sally Hepworth is a good writer.  Hope your wait on The Mother in Law isn't too long.  I think you'll like it.    

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  I'm so sorry about your sister. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.  I think I dread it more than any other health issue.  I'm hoping they find a cure in my lifetime.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally finished The Swallows by Lisa Lutz.  It seems like it's a cautionary tale for high school girls to be aware of how boys will take advantage of them.  The language is very adult, but I'm old, so it might be a generational thing.  I thought it was kind of bizarre and not "wickedly funny" as some reviewers describe it.  It's quite a departure for Lisa Lutz and not a book I would recommend.  Maybe you need to be younger.

Trusted Contributor

The Quiet Side of Passion 

The Second Worst Restaurant in France

Both above by Alexander McCall Smilth

Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Escape Room by Megan Goldin. it was very very good, I loved it from start to finish!

Next up Little Beach Bungalow by Joanne Demaio, I know I will love it as I have enjoyed all of her books!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am dragging through "The Escape Room" by Megan Goldin. This book started off with a bang for me. I was 100% into it. Then I became bored with it..  I have been trying to read the last 100 pages of the book since Thursday. I did not read on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Sure, I have been doing things but that has never stopped me before. I always find a way to read a least a few chapters each day. This is a sure sign that the book has lost me. I just do not like the characters, they are horrible people with no redeeming qualities. I like Sara who is a completely naive bottom of the rung co-worker, and I believe that I am trying to finish the book because of her.

Sometime, this week I plan on starting Force of Nature by Jane Harper. 

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Wife by Alafair Burke.  It's a suspense/mystery story about a husband who has been accused of assault by two different women.  It goes into everything he and his family go through.  Lots of secrets come out during this time.  The ending was a total shock.  The first book I've read by this author and I really liked it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder on the Clifftops, book 3, by Betty Rowlands.  Melissa Craig is an author who writes mysteries and her next door neighbor, Iris, designs fabric.  In this book, Iris and Melissa travel to France for Iris to teach a course and for Melissa to do background work on her next novel.

This book explores some of the history of the Camisards during the 1700's, Nazi traitors, grotto hiding places, and how long-term family grudges can result in murder, even after hundreds of years.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!