Respected Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? MAY 2017

This is a laugh out loud hilarious book, I have to stifle myself when reading in bed at night to not wake up Mr. Free. 

Will Not Attend: Lively Stories of Detachment and Isolation by Adam Resnick.

He's a TV/Movie comedy writer telling about his growing up years and much more

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I only read his Patrick Kenzie series. I wish there were more but I guess he's done-I didn't really like the last one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

I have just finished:

* 1. Killing of The Rising Sun

Now on* 2.  The Ministry 1000 DAYS

1/4 through (by Martin Dugard and Bill O'Reilly):

Killing Jesus

I read #1, too.  It was very interesting.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi All.

Just got finished reading an outstanding book. My favorite of the year so far. Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig. Ginny is a teenager who has autism. This book is told from Ginny's point of view. The author does a great job in his poignant portrayal of Ginny. I laughed and I cried. Had to share this gem, haven't read a book that moved me this much since A Man called Ove. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

The Night The Lights Went Out, by Karen White;

I'll Eat When I'm Dead, by Barbara Bourland;

Heroes Of Quantico Series, by Irene Hannon (three volumes)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I just finished Dennis Lehane's Since We Fell. Lehane also wrote Mystic River and Shutter Island among others.  I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this book at first, but it was very, very good.  Lehane does such a good job of keeping you guessing.

Valued Contributor

I just finished Dennis Lehane's Since We Fell. Lehane also wrote Mystic River and Shutter Island among others.  I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this book at first, but it was very, very good.  Lehane does such a good job of keeping you guessing.

Will be starting Death at La Fenice: A Commissario Brunetti Mystery

by Donna Leon.

La Fenice is the Venetian opera house.  I was lucky enough to visit Venice this past fall.  I hope to be recognize many places in Venice as I read.

Trusted Contributor

@pateacher  I just finished Death at La Fenice.  I had read some of the other Guido Brunetti books and finally managed to get this -- which is the first in the series -- from an inter-library loan.  I really love these books, and if you've been to Venice I know you'll have a grand time.  The city, and Brunetti's love for it, is as much a part of the story as the characters themselves. 

The only other books I can think of offhand where the setting is so much a part of the books is Dana Stabenow's series about Kate Shugak and Alaska.

Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@pateacher, funny, I just reviewed this above and said it was good, not great!  I loved Mystic River and Shutter Island.  LM

Respected Contributor

I read The Women in the Castle (Jessica Shattuck) and found the story very moving.  

Also read The Stars Are Fire (Anita Shreve).  It was engrossing while I was reading it.  It's not really my kind of book, but I understand why people might love it.

And I just finished Sunday Morning Coming Down (Nicci French).  OMG.