Respected Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? MAY 2017

I finished A Piece of the World (Christine Baker Cline), about the woman who was the inspiration for Andrew Wyeth's 1948 painting, Christina's World.  I have a couple of prints by him (not this one, though) and I found the backstory interesting.  Christina had a debilitating, degenerative disease and still she persevered and did all the household chores for her parents and brothers.  The book is beautifully written and really evokes the starkness of her life and the landscape.

Respected Contributor

I'm halfway through Anything Is Possible (Elizabeth Strout).    So far I like it and think it's interesting how she has connected the stories and her characters.

I just started The Women In The Castle (Jessica Shattuck).

I gave up on The Chemist (Stephanie Meyer).

Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Just finished The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley @sunala! Thanks for mentioning it. What a good book and I wasn't ready for it to end! 

@DukeBlueNan I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's always rewarding to share our favorite books with others who enjoy them as well.

I finished reading Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I think if I would have enjoyed Lucy Barton, I probably would have enjoyed this one more than I did.  I do love Elizabeth Strout's format of writing short stories on the various characters. I really appreciated that from Olive Kitteridge. 

Then I read The Last Nazi by Stan Pottinger. I've had this on my TBR list for at least 10 years and finally read it. I enjoyed it although it was a bit dated. 

Yesterday I finished reading The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve. I loved it! It's the first book in a long time that I read in one day. I just couldn't stop reading it. Very good!

I'm now reading The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard. I'm halfway done and enjoying it. 

Back to the book. Nite all! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Oh, my goodness!  I am about 3/4 the way through The River at NIght, and I can hardly put it down.  I read about it Thursday on this thread, put it on hold at my library, and got it yesterday.  Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger making you want to read the next chapter.  I can't remember the last time I was so engrossed in a book.  It is about women who go on a rafting trip in an isolated part of Maine.  Think along the lines of Deliverance only different, of course.  Many thanks to @CANDLEQUEEN who I think mentioned it first.  Love any book with a good storyline.  Have The Widow coming along with The Perfect Neighbors, Never Let You Go, and Into the Water.  Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

@Ainhisg

@CareBears

I loved The River at Night. It was very well written and so suspenseful!  I had to suspend reality a few times but it didn't matter because I liked it so much!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I guess I'd better get The River at Night-sounds good. I am now reading something people here posted about-Waiting for Wednesday but without having read the 2 before it because they didn't appeal to me. So I'm getting snatches of the previous book and yeah, don't say it. I should have read it. But I am liking the police part much better than the Frieda part. I could do with less of her and yet she's the star, right? I'm just 100 pages in but finally I have a book I'm happy to get back to. I put Elvis Cole and Hamish MacBeth on the back burner for now-hope they aren't mad at me.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Amy E. Reichert's The Simplicity of Cider, a Goodreads win.  It was a pretty good book and I'd give it 3 stars.  A new author for me and now I might be interested in her previous books too.

Onto Daniel Wallace's Extraordinary Adventures, another Goodreads win.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished The One Eyed Man by Ron Currie.  It is definitely a quirky book and not for everyone but I enjoyed it.  I am going to look into his previous novels. 

Following in the vein of his previous three hilariously observant novels, Currie's (Flimsy Little Plastic Miracles, 2013) latest delivers biting criticism of gun control, consumerism, and celebrity. Since the death of his wife, K. has been taking everything literally, from sarcasm to bumper stickers and marketing phrases, resulting in semantic squabbles with friends and strangers, run-ins with doctors and cops, and a punch in the face. When a malfunctioning crosswalk light delays his routine stroll to a local coffee shop, fate and uncertainty turn him into an unwitting hero after he inadvertently foils a robbery. The sudden media attention only exacerbates his odd behavior, attracting the interest of Claire, a witty, starstruck grocery-store clerk, and a television producer who transforms K. into a reality-show personality. With his unguarded social observations broadcast to audiences worldwide, a new and apocalyptic reality sets in as K. and Claire fight for freedom, and their lives. As tender as it is bitter, as violent as it is introspective, Currie's novel is a wild romp through some of the most pressing issues in American politics.

I just read the first chapter of Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout.  Not thrilled so far.  If it does not pull me by 70 pages I will give it up. 

Respected Contributor

I just started The Guests on South Battery by Karen White.  It's the fifth book in the Charleston, SC series (fiction/mystery) about a real estate agent who inherits a historic Charleston home and can feel the presence of the past owners/ghosts.  Some nice history is thrown into the book too.  

The previous books in the series are:

The House on Tradd Street

The Girl on Legare Street

The Strangers on Montagu Street

Return to Tradd Street

Valued Contributor

Just started the newest Maisie Dobbs: "In this Grave Hour." So far, it is a keeper. Not so devastating as the last couple of books, with all of Maisie's personal tragedy.  This is about the beginning of WWII. (Author: Jacqueline Winspear)

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

I just started The Guests on South Battery by Karen White.  It's the fifth book in the Charleston, SC series (fiction/mystery) about a real estate agent who inherits a historic Charleston home and can feel the presence of the past owners/ghosts.  Some nice history is thrown into the book too.  

The previous books in the series are:

The House on Tradd Street

The Girl on Legare Street

The Strangers on Montagu Street

Return to Tradd Street

@IlliniGirl88I love all those listed above and everyone is at my library where I read them and discovered Karen.  Our new librarian as not order  No. 5 for some reason but I have put in a request for it.  I hope she does soon I am so ready to get back on Tradd Street.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."