Honored Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? MAY 2017

[ Edited ]

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS by BA PARIS. The layout is  similar in the last book that I read The Girl Before, as it alternates each chapter between past and present and The Girl was between the 2 female characters. I just want the story to start and keep going.

After a few chapters, the subject matter was too much for me. The husband changes after the couple weds and not for the better. The suffering chapter after chapter. I started skimming the book. The ending was wrapped up much too fast whereas the middle drags on and on for me. 

Others have enjoyed it and that's how I found the title. 

Respected Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS by BA PARIS. The layout is  similar in the last book that I read The Girl Before, as it alternates each chapter between past and present and The Girl was between the 2 female characters. I just want the story to start and keep going.

After a few chapters, the subject matter was too much for me. The husband changes after the couple weds and not for the better. The suffering chapter after chapter. I started skimming the book. The ending was wrapped up much too fast whereas the middle drags on and on for me. 

Others have enjoyed it and that's how I found the title. 

This is not my usual type of book but I got a freebie out of the blue!  The subject was too much and I was debating if I wanted to finish it or not but it kept me intrigued and knew something good had to come out of it. 

I also read her latest one The Breakdown and it was a much "nicer" subject and enjoyed it more.

Trusted Contributor

My Name is Lucy Barton

Just finished it today. Another good one.

Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

My Name is Lucy Barton

@DukeBlueNan - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Me? Not too much. 

Last night I finished The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard. It's been on my TBR list since 2010, and I finally read it. 

It was a pretty good mystery with a surprise ending. I'm glad I finally read it. 

Not sure what's next, as I don't know what type of book I'm in the mood to read. 

Happy Reading everyone Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Just finished THE FIREMAN by Joe Hill.  

Trying to start THE SON by Phillip Meyers.  

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

My Name is Lucy Barton

Last night I finished The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard. It's been on my TBR list since 2010, and I finally read it. 

It was a pretty good mystery with a surprise ending. I'm glad I finally read it. 

Not sure what's next, as I don't know what type of book I'm in the mood to read. 

@sunala I learned of THE SCENT OF RAIN AND LIGHTNING here on the monthly thread. I don't remember the story line but enjoyed it. I remembered the ending threw me for a loop but can't remember what it was lol. How's that for an endorsement?

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

My Name is Lucy Barton

@sunala I learned of THE SCENT OF RAIN AND LIGHTNING here on the monthly thread. I don't remember the story line but enjoyed it. I remembered the ending threw me for a loop but can't remember what it was lol. How's that for an endorsement?

@Yahooey- to refresh your memory, it took place in a small town in Kansas. It was about a young woman whose father was murdered and mother disappeared when she was 3 years old, and now the man who was accused of the murder is out of jail after serving his sentence. She's now grown up and afraid he's going to come after her and her family, who are all wealthy cattle ranchers. Ring a bell?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Just finished The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley @sunala! Thanks for mentioning it. What a good book and I wasn't ready for it to end! 

@DukeBlueNan I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's always rewarding to share our favorite books with others who enjoy them as well.

I finished reading Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I think if I would have enjoyed Lucy Barton, I probably would have enjoyed this one more than I did.  I do love Elizabeth Strout's format of writing short stories on the various characters. I really appreciated that from Olive Kitteridge. 

Then I read The Last Nazi by Stan Pottinger. I've had this on my TBR list for at least 10 years and finally read it. I enjoyed it although it was a bit dated. 

Yesterday I finished reading The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve. I loved it! It's the first book in a long time that I read in one day. I just couldn't stop reading it. Very good!

I'm now reading The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard. I'm halfway done and enjoying it. 

Back to the book. Nite all! 

@sunala... so glad you loved THE STARS ARE FIRE by ANITA SHREVE!!  Can't wait to see what she comes out with next.  Simply an outstanding author!  

Trusted Contributor

My Name is Lucy Barton was a different read for me @sunala.

I doubt I'll read any others by the author, but I never say never!

So, after that I decided to read a "cozy"! Death of a Toy Soldier by Barbara Early. Wouldn't be cozy without a murder!

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished A Piece of the World (Christine Baker Cline), about the woman who was the inspiration for Andrew Wyeth's 1948 painting, Christina's World.  I have a couple of prints by him (not this one, though) and I found the backstory interesting.  Christina had a debilitating, degenerative disease and still she persevered and did all the household chores for her parents and brothers.  The book is beautifully written and really evokes the starkness of her life and the landscape.

I'm glad you liked it as much as I did! @smoky22