Trusted Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? MAY 2017

I picked up a bunch of new books from the library:  "THE 16TH SEDUCTION" by James Patterson (Women's Murder Club series), "AGAINST ALL ODDS"  by Danielle Steel, "DEVIL'S BREATH" by G. M. Malliett (Father Max Tudor series), and "LESS THAN A TREASON" by Dana Stabenow (Kate Shugak series - first new book in several years.)

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

started listening to

One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline
(emotional thriller and suburban crime story/mother of a

high-school-aged boy/stranger posing as a high school

teacher and coach/library Playaway device)

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Respected Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

I finished A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline. It's based on the Andrew Wyeth painting "Christina's World" She is the author who wrote Orphan Train. I enjoyed this book.📚😊

@skyblue  I'm glad you enjoyed A Piece Of The World.  I have it on my kindle, but there are so many books right now.  Maybe I will put it higher on my TBR list.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (author of  The Girl on the Train).

As I suspected, I did end up liking it a lot.  But, if people come here and say they thought it was horrible, I wouldn't argue with them.  It goes back and forth between multiple characters and it took me a bit of time getting used to who everyone was.  I literally had no clue what I was listening to at the beginning and was a little worried with what I had gotten myself into!  In a way, I liked the large cast - certainly gave more suspects and, I thought, there were at least three good possibilities for the ending.  Narrators did a great job too, I thought.

I'm eager to see what other readers/listerners have to say about it!!

I have quite a few books on my audible app ready to go - Killers of the Flower Moon, The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (RWBC - Reese Witherspoon Book Club LOL!!), and Beartown (reviews here swayed me!)  I will, however, be taking the next couple of weeks off from audible (leaving on vacation next Friday and will bring my Kindle).  I do have one book that I hope to read before I go - a real book! - as it is about Cuba and I will be stopping in Havana for one day.

Valued Contributor

In the middle of reading Treason by Newt Gingrich (fiction). It's good, but I got distracted by another book called Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz.  Then a book I had on hold at the library came in for me, The Last Mile by David Baldacci. And if that wasn't enough, my son fixed my kindle, alerted me to the fact we have Amazon kindle unlimited so I can pick out a lot of free books. My poor head is spinning Smiley LOL but in a good way!

Valued Contributor

@number one queen wrote:

@lynne6was7 ,so glad you have read all of Deborah Crombies books, did you read her latest.? It was so good.

Yes, I was one of the first on the library hold list.  It was very good.  I keep hoping that she will move along a storyline for Doug and Melody.

When you first find a series and there are quite a few available, it is so fun to read them one right after the other.  But once you're caught up, it is hard to wait a year or more for the next book to come out.

Respected Contributor

I'm just starting CJ Cherryh's latest Foreigner book Convergence.

I've been reading Kristen Painter's Nocturne Falls books before.   Silly but entertaining.

Next I'll find a mystery book to read.   I'm overloaded with books that I already have so I need to catch up.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I got an alert from Amazon that Sue Grafton's new book, "Y IS FOR YESTERDAY", will be coming out on August 22nd.  Very exciting!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Nora Roberts upcoming book Come Sundown, a Goodreads win.  As with her others, I really enjoyed it. Even though this book was close to 600 pages, and a few days of not reading as many pages as usual, it only took me 10 days. 

Going to start Amy E. Reichert's The Simplicity of Cider, a new author for me and another Goodreads win, of course. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished Southland by Nina Revoyr. I've been wanting to read it for quite a while, so I finally did. Let's just say it was too long and drawn out, although the subject matter was interesting. 100 less pages would have been delightful. I gave it only 2 stars because it was way too long, and I was angry at myself for finishing it and wasting so much valuable reading time on it. 

I'm now 75% through Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout. I think most of you know I didn't care for Lucy Barton at all, but being I barely remember it now, all these characters that were supposedly in Lucy Barton are unknown to me. I know the reviews say it's like visiting "old friends," but they weren't my friends in the first place, so there you go!

So, being almost finished, unless something remarkable happens this is going to be another big disappointment.  

I have several other books on my Kindle that I want to read, so I'll just move on when I'm done. 

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett