Esteemed Contributor

What are you Reading? MAY 2017

Happy MAY 2017 to all of our reading friends!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Please include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

And please, NO SPOILERS**

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? MAY 2017

I just finished reading MISSISSIPPI BLOOD, the last of the trilogy by Greg Isles.  Loved it!

Mr. Isles is a wonderful story teller and throughout this trilogy, I learned a lot about Natchez, Mississippi and the 60's Ku Klux Klan. 

Ann Cleeves has a new book out - a Jimmy Perez mystery.  I've read every one of her books.  Can't wait to get hold of this one.

Frequent Contributor

THE CHILDREN'S BLIZZARD   by David Laskin

This book is about one of the worst blizzard's in history and happened in 1888 on the American plains.  This was before the days of phones and reliable weather forecasters and these people were caught completely off guard.  A lot of them were school children.  People suffered white out conditions, disorientation, winds, snow drifts, and needle shaped snow trying to get home and/or under cover. Unbelieveable, yet true what these pioneers went through.  

Honored Contributor

Everything you Want Me To Be, by Mindy Mejia;

City of Friends, by Joanna Trollope

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am currently reading "The Chillsbury Ladies Choir" I am about 1/2 way through but I have to take it back to the library so the next in line can enjoy this book.

I have not been able to read a book in any form for over a month, almost 33 years ago I woke up on a Monday morning (the Monday after our wedding) and I could not move either arm, I went to the emergency room and over the years I have had every test known to man run on my right arm (acupuncture, MRI, blood work) and they have yet to determine what is wrong with it, I have spent too much money to keep giving them permission to run test after test just to have them shurg their shoulders.  They do admit that there is something wrong, but cannot figure out what?

Any way, my arm swells up, the pain at times is severe, so holding any items at times is very painful, even propping up 3 pillows on my lap is fruitless, so until this current flare up passes I am unfortunately unable to read.

@LoriLori I do not care if I have to hold "Beartown" upside down and hold it with my feet that book will be read, I have been waiting too long, my husband may be reading it to me, but it will get read!

This too shall pass, let us hope this passes quicly!  In the meantime I so enjoy reading what everyone else is reading and your reviews!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I am currently reading "The Chillsbury Ladies Choir" I am about 1/2 way through but I have to take it back to the library so the next in line can enjoy this book.

I have not been able to read a book in any form for over a month, almost 33 years ago I woke up on a Monday morning (the Monday after our wedding) and I could not move either arm, I went to the emergency room and over the years I have had every test known to man run on my right arm (acupuncture, MRI, blood work) and they have yet to determine what is wrong with it, I have spent too much money to keep giving them permission to run test after test just to have them shurg their shoulders.  They do admit that there is something wrong, but cannot figure out what?

Any way, my arm swells up, the pain at times is severe, so holding any items at times is very painful, even propping up 3 pillows on my lap is fruitless, so until this current flare up passes I am unfortunately unable to read.

@LoriLori I do not care if I have to hold "Beartown" upside down and hold it with my feet that book will be read, I have been waiting too long, my husband may be reading it to me, but it will get read!

This too shall pass, let us hope this passes quicly!  In the meantime I so enjoy reading what everyone else is reading and your reviews!

Praying for you now and the days to come you heal soon.  Reading is such a big portion of your life and love so I know it is hard for you to put aside.  Just think of all the books waiting when you are able.  Take care and happy reading very very soon.Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 Thank you, reading is such a big part of my life, I just keep adding to my Wish List, and as Arnold says "I'll Be Back", YES I am a nerd!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears, so sorry to hear about your troubles.  I can relate.  Reading is my escape and my reward and I have several conditions that can impact my ability to read and it's torture.  I hope you're feeling all better very soon!!!  Like today!

As for "Beartown" I'm finding it slow going.  It's sad and the very beginning telegraphs a tragedy.   There's a pall hanging over the book, which is over 400 pages.  The ingredients and themes will be familiar to Backman fans, but this is a different treatment, not satiric, comedic or ironic.

Here it bears repeating, in the other thread @lovescats has warned us not to read people's reviews on Amazon as there are spoilers. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CareBears  I'm so sorry about your health issues. I also hope that it goes away soon so you can read to your heart's content!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

Why dont you get it on cd ?  Try the library