Occasional Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? July, 2016

Just finished Reading "My Grandmother asked me to tell you she's Sorry" written by Fredrik Backman.  He also wrote "A Man Called Ove."  Definitely a different kind of story.  The thing that bothers me about this book is people feed chocolate candy bars, cookies, etc., to a dog.  Chocolate is poison to dogs.  I hope everyone who reads this story doesn't start feeding chocolate to their pets.

Honored Contributor

@Micromom wrote:

Just finished Reading "My Grandmother asked me to tell you she's Sorry" written by Fredrik Backman.  He also wrote "A Man Called Ove."  Definitely a different kind of story.  The thing that bothers me about this book is people feed chocolate candy bars, cookies, etc., to a dog.  Chocolate is poison to dogs.  I hope everyone who reads this story doesn't start feeding chocolate to their pets.

Yes! Put it out there. So many people don't know this-like the author of the book.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende.  I like it but didn't think it was spectacular.  I would rate it 3.5 out of 5.  Goodreads gives it 3.8.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. 5 stars IMO. Follows the lives of 2 sisters during World War II as France is invaded by the Nazis. Two totally different paths they took during all the trials & tribulations of that horrible time.

Oh my gosh, I read that, too, couldn't put it down!  Such a good book.  There is another one, The Cost of Courage that is in the same genre, but a true story.  Love these kinds of books.  Anymore that anyone can suggest?

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. 5 stars IMO. Follows the lives of 2 sisters during World War II as France is invaded by the Nazis. Two totally different paths they took during all the trials & tribulations of that horrible time.

Oh my gosh, I read that, too, couldn't put it down!  Such a good book.  There is another one, The Cost of Courage that is in the same genre, but a true story.  Love these kinds of books.  Anymore that anyone can suggest?

@Patriot3 oh yes I've read several books about those times. I will find my list and post it. I think a while back we all posted our favorite books from WWII, but I can't remember where they're posted.

By the way, I just loved The Nightingale. Although I don't ordinarily read Kristen Hannah, The Nightingale brought me to tears, which is not easy to do.

I'll get back to you with that list, and then others can add their favorites as well.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Patriot3 oh yes I've read several books about those times. I will find my list and post it. I think a while back we all posted our favorite books from WWII, but I can't remember where they're posted.

By the way, I just loved The Nightingale. Although I don't ordinarily read Kristen Hannah, The Nightingale brought me to tears, which is not easy to do.

I'll get back to you with that list, and then others can add their favorites as well.

@Patriot3 I found the thread about books on the Holocaust, and it's now on top. Check it out!

Super Contributor

Just finished ORDINARY GRACE by William Kent Krueger. Written from the memories of a man about coming of age in Minnesota in 1961. Slow going at first, but so glad I hung in there. Went back to re-read snd yellow highlight several paragraphs.
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 I loved The Paris Architecht. It's set in that time and isn't gruesome. Some of those on sunny's list are too much for me to absorb-the horror- and I know that's exactly why I should read them, but I prefer reading about that time in a fiction book. It's just my preference. 

lori, with all your reviews on books I've read, I'm wondering if you are reading about the Holocaust or gave it up? You said you had enough on your list for a year-did you start on it? Did you take a deep breath and dive in? 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Patriot3 I found the thread about books on the Holocaust, and it's now on top. Check it out!

Thanks for the thread, but sorry, I don't know what you mean by it's now on the top Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Thanks for the thread, but sorry, I don't know what you mean by it's now on the top Smiley Sad

@Patriot3 I found the thread I was referring to about holocaust books.

Since nobody posted on it in a while, it got buried down on the second page. I posted on it, which brought it back up to the current threads, so it should be towards the top of the first page, like around the same place this thread is located. Good luck and let me know when you find it. It's titled "Please Recommend Books on the Holocaust." Please let me know.