Contributor

Re: ~~What are you Reading? August 2018 ~~

I just read a real page-turner, She Rides Shotgun by Jordan Harper! It is not a book I would typically read but I saw a recommendation from Anna Quinlan & decided to give it try. It is the story of a middle school aged girl whose life is altered when her ex-con father, who is recently released from prison, shows up at her school. A notorious gang has put the ex-con, his ex-wife, & daughter on their primary hit list. The ex-con knows he must escape with his daughter & teach her survival skills she will need to survive the wrath of those who are out to take their lives. The characters and story are so strong and they linger in the mind as the story comes to an end. Even the girl’s teddy bear is a memorable character! So good - don’t miss this one!

Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

I just started reading Alexander McCall Smith's newest Isabel Dalhousie book, The Quiet Side of Passion.  His books are always easy and enjoyable reading.  

I just picked up the first one, The Sunday Philosophy Club. Look forward to reading this and his others in the series.

I love books by Alexander McCall Smith! I heard him speak at an event at my Public Library & he is a delightful speaker & shared so many stories about his writing. If you ever have a chance to hear him speak, don’t miss it!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to Fruit of the Drunken Tree by Ingrid Rojas Contreras.  The story is primarily told 1st person by 7 year old Chula and focuses on her friendship with her 13 year maid, Petrona (who is the 1st person narrator for several chapters.) The book covers several years of Columbia‘s bloody history, from Galán’s assassination to the manhunt and shooting of Pablo Escobar and beyond.

I did like the book.  I wasn’t sure I would like the young narrator, but it didn’t bother me and, in fact, I thought was an interesting perspective. I can’t get too detailed but, it also made Chula’s ending sad for me. I also wasn’t sure I liked the ending.  I thought parts dragged and, honestly, some people did things that I didn’t understand. But, how could I, growing up in Midwest suburbia.

The book did make me look up Escobar and Galán.  Oh, and the author has some notes at the end.  The book is fiction, but based on some of her own experiences. Her comments about her father were particularly interesting.

In spite of its recent history, Columbia is now considered a safe and up-and-coming travel destination. I admit that the reason I selected this novel versus The Incendiaries (which came out the same day) was due to CoffeeNut’s trip report in the Travel Forum.

My next Audible is Still Lives, Reese’s August book club pick. So far so good!

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego  I had to look up Still Lives.  It does sound good.  I put it on waitlist and I'll be looking forward to your review.

Respected Contributor

Smoky2016, I was not impressed by The Lovely Bones. It sure did get a lot of hype, though!

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Well, I finished The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) and I'm not sure how to review it.  I didn't love it, didn't hate it.   I can't decide whether to give it 4 stars or 2 stars.  The first half really was intriguing but I thought it went downhill from there.  And really that ending?  All she wanted to do was come back to earth and do what?(???).  In  one way, it's basically just a very different coming of age story.  (I loved the grandmother, she reminded me of my first mother-in-law).  And some of the writing is painfully pretentious (she buttered her toast with her tears).  See, now I'm leaning towards 2 stars again.  

Sorry you didn't love it (with two stars, maybe didn't even like it).  I'd still say let some time pass and see the movie.  Saorise Ronan is awesome as Susie and Stanley Tucci won an Academy Award as the neighbor.  

As far as "All she wanted to come back to earth and do what?" I knew you'd nail what I characterized as a bad choice!  Head-scratching.   I mean, you can make a case for it, being teenage and all, but I detested it.  The rest I loved.  Especially the other victims with her, and the way the villain is dispatched.  I read it when it first came out so I don't remember the writing being pretentious but to each our own.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "The Rescue" by Nicolas Sparks, I thought I had read all of his books, but a friend of mine on Facebook brought this one up, and I really enjoyed it as I do all of his books,  

Next up The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin, another friend of mine highly recommended this book, and it is highly rated!

Honored Contributor

@smoky22, etc., don't know if you're a fan of Stewart O'Nan.  His "Songs for the Missing" is (IMO) a great book with a similar theme.  Slow.  He takes his time.  My favorite book of his takes place in a single night at a Red Lobster, the whole book.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori What is the title of the Red Lobster book?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori What is the title of the Red Lobster book?

"Last Night at the Lobster."  I love it, it's a little gem, a slice of reality, and O'Nan is a lovely writer.