First two books excellent, third very good

Respected Contributor

Re: ~~What are you Reading? August 2018 ~~

I just finished reading

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

and I am currently reading

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman

The Couple Next Door is a fast paced mystery about the disapperance of the couple's 6 month old daughter.  It is a good mystery, not great. I am not too thrilled about the ending.

And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer and Longer is a novella about the Granpa, his son, and his grandchild's journey as Granpa suffers from Alzheimers. It's a very short book, but very touching.

I am in the middle of readling Britt-Marie Was Here. And so far so good.

Honored Contributor

@travelin grandma wrote:

I just finished THE GOOD WIFE and started THE WIFE BETWEEN US.  Loved the first one and am having trouble putting the second down.  Recommend both.

Do not blame you one bit @travelin grandma.  The Wife Between Us was my favorite of the two.  So jealous of you having them both back to back what a great reading time you are having.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@travelin grandma wrote:

I just finished THE GOOD WIFE and started THE WIFE BETWEEN US.  Loved the first one and am having trouble putting the second down.  Recommend both.

Do not blame you one bit @travelin grandma.  The Wife Between Us was my favorite of the two.  So jealous of you having them both back to back what a great reading time you are having.

@beckyb1012

@travelin grandma

THE WIFE BETWEEN US was my favorite too but I really enjoyed both.  So many twists and turns in THE WIFE BETWEEN US.  Now I'm reading THE WIFE (I guess I have a theme going here) and so far, so good!

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@travelin grandma wrote:

@beckyb1012

@travelin grandma

THE WIFE BETWEEN US was my favorite too but I really enjoyed both.  So many twists and turns in THE WIFE BETWEEN US.  Now I'm reading THE WIFE (I guess I have a theme going here) and so far, so good!

I really enjoyed that one as well @itsmetoo.  Nothing wrong with having a theme going call it "Summer 2018 of The Wife."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Castaways - Elin Hilderbrand

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I'm reading The Cottage By The Sea by Debbie Macomber.  I am enjoying very much! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

I'm reading Love's Faithful Promise (Courage to Dream series, Book 3) by Susan Anne Mason.  This historical fiction love story takes place in 1922 in Toronto and upstate New York at the O'Leary family's Irish Meadows estate.  I'm really enjoying one of the sub-plots, can't wait to see how that turns out!  This is the last book in this series, and I'm going to miss these characters.  

Trusted Contributor

I finished reading Clock Dance by Anne Tyler.  It was a little boring, but at the ending I said "you go girl, it's about time!".  As I've never been married, I may have a different take on the story.

Next up - The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable.  The Summer I Met Jack is based on the fascinating real life of Alicia Corning Clark, a woman who J. Edgar Hoover insisted was paid by the Kennedys to keep quiet, not only about her romance with Jack Kennedy, but also a baby they may have had together.

Esteemed Contributor

@brandy77 wrote:

Hi, I hope it's OK for me to post this, but if any book club groups enjoy historical fiction and are interested in the novel TWO EMPRESSES by Brandy Purdy, if you reach out to her, you can do that through her blog, she offers specially discounted packages of multiple copies for book clubs.

hi @brandy77 - it's absolutely okay to share book information. Thank you for the post and we hope to see you posting again soon!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett