Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~~What are you Reading? August 2018 ~~

@insomniac2 wrote:

Smoky2016, I was not impressed by The Lovely Bones. It sure did get a lot of hype, though!

@insomniac2

I  read this a few years ago. It was just an ok book for me. 

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori What is the title of the Red Lobster book?

"Last Night at the Lobster."  I love it, it's a little gem, a slice of reality, and O'Nan is a lovely writer.

That's one of the best books I have ever read.  O'Nan is a favorite of mine.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  What a ride!  Loved this book!

01B1E3D3-8332-4163-8F88-FA4BBA1410F2.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop I finished this book a couple of weeks ago but forgot to post, I enjoyed it also, but it was a bit over my head, all the banking terms, hiding money here and there, for me it was a bit confusing since I obviously do not have money to hide is Swiss bank accounts, but it was good!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears, you & me both on the international/banking terms but it was a quick read giving me a bit of insight to that type of world.  What are you currently reading now? 

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22, etc., don't know if you're a fan of Stewart O'Nan.  His "Songs for the Missing" is (IMO) a great book with a similar theme.  Slow.  He takes his time.  My favorite book of his takes place in a single night at a Red Lobster, the whole book.

@LoriLori  I had never heard of Stewart O'Nan.  I'll look it up.  But I'm kind of afraid to, lol.  

And maybe I should add that I'm not usually fond of family dramas, which is something that The Lovely Bones really was. 

@smoky22, new recommendation:  totally skip O'Nan's "Songs for the Missing."  you won't like it.  H

owever "Last Night at the Lobster" is a very different book and I recommend that for anyone.  It's a slice of life that takes place at a Red Lobster that is closing the next day.  It's a story of the people who work there and there's a lot of detail about how they do things at Red Lobster which I found super interesting (I don't eat there LOL).

Will you see the movie "The Lovely Bones?"  Stanley Tucci, his performance gives me chills just thinking about it.

@LoriLori  I will try to see the movie.  Strangely, this is the kind of story I might like better as a movie (and by Peter Jackson, of course).  Stanley Tucci sounds perfect for the part.  

My library doesn't have Songs Of The Missing, anyway.  I'll try Last Night at the Lobster.  I have a lot of books in the wings, though.    

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  you are such a fast reader!  Whew!  I read the first two Commissario Guido Brunetti books (love his name) and I liked them.  Not sure why I didn't continue.  Distracted by too many other books I guess.  I never finished Ngaio Marsh either, lol.

I haven't read the Royal Spyness books for a while.  Your review on this last one makes me want to try it again. 

I'm glad to hear the Isabel Dalhousie is good.  I'm stuck at #4.  The line doesn't seem to be moving.

Respected Contributor

I read Lady Justice and the Devil's Breath (Robert Thornhill).  These Lady Justice books are so much fun to read.  They're funny but with a message, and so easy to read.  Loved it.

I also read The Sixth Idea, the 7th in the Monkeewrench series.  Loved that one, too.  Much better than the previous one.  I'm sorry they're coming to an end.  

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - the Donna Leon books are like potato chips; you just keep reading them, one after the other!  They are also nice and short - about 230-250 pages- so they are a quick read.  Glad you are enjoying the Monkeewrench books.  You still have #8 left, which is "NOTHING STAYS BURIED", which I remember was good, and then #9 "THE GUILTY DEAD" is coming out on September 11th.  I am glad the daughter is continuing the series.

Just to put in my two cents, I thought both the book and the movie of "The Lovely Bones" were great.

Super Contributor

Just finished "Triptych" by Karin Slaughter.  I usually don't stray  from my usual authors, but I think somebody here mentioned her so when I saw her book at the library I picked it up.  Definitely going back for more of her books.  That one was very, very good.