Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~~What are you Reading? August 2018 ~~

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I know you have enough books on your TBR list, but I wanted to mention there is a book called Hope Never Dies (An Obama Biden mystery) by Andrew Shaffer.  They are supposed to be like a funny Holmes and Watson, lol.  I have it on waitlist but it will be a while before I get it.      

@smoky22- I just got Hope Never Dies, but I haven't started it yet. I can't wait! I even love the cover (very much)!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I’m reading the Perfect Mother right now too.  It’s excellend so far.  I’m actually listening to it and the narrator is doing a wonderful job. 

@GenXmuse- I honestly couldn't stand it. I read about 1/3 of the book and wanted to scream at myself for wasting my precious reading time. I skipped to the end and read the last chapter, and I was so glad I didn't waste another minute. I discussed the book with some of my friends and they said they read the whole book and couldn't figure out who took the baby (not a spoiler since it says in the synopsis that a baby was kidnapped). And all those unlikeable characters! They all seemed the same to me.

I went on to a really good book, The Confusion of Languages, by Siobhan Fallon. I really enjoyed it.

Happy Reading!

Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I finished reading The Summer I Met Jack.  It was a little long, a little too wordy, but interesting.  It's based on a "rumor" that Jack Kennedy's former lover gave birth to his daughter. 

After reading it, I had to google names because I'm nosey!

Today I began reading Love and Ruin by Paula McLain.  It's the story of Martha Gelhorne and Ernest Hemingway during the Spanish Civil War and their lives afterwards.  I think she was his 3rd wife.  Ms. McLain also wrote The Paris Wife, which I enjoyed.  I just started reading this and am already skipping paragraphs ...

Next book up is Before And Again by Barbara Delinsky.

And I have 4(!) books waiting for me at the library!  Good thing I'll be at the beach several days.

@roeroe1005- I wonder how many children the Kennedy brothers fathered over the years, and how many of them are alive. Now that would be an interesting book!

Esteemed Contributor

@number one queen wrote:

JAR OF HEARTS , byJennifer Hillier, a  dark twisted  ,wrong choices with terrible consequences, to a cast of characters that can be definitely relateable. The ending could be debated and there could be several different endings.

@number one queen- I really should read this book. I got it free from netgalley probably about 6 months ago and never read it. Netgalley frowns on lack of reviews, and they won't send any more free books if that continues to happen. It's just that I have sooooooooo many books to read!

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I know you have enough books on your TBR list, but I wanted to mention there is a book called Hope Never Dies (An Obama Biden mystery) by Andrew Shaffer.  They are supposed to be like a funny Holmes and Watson, lol.  I have it on waitlist but it will be a while before I get it.      

@smoky22- I just got Hope Never Dies, but I haven't started it yet. I can't wait! I even love the cover (very much)!

@sunala  I loved the cover too.  It looks like fun.  Can't wait for your review!

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@sunala  I loved the cover too.  It looks like fun.  Can't wait for your review!

@smoky22, just told my aunt about it and it made her day so thanks and yay, that (she) means a great deal to me.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Sweetbabyjane

I finally won a book on Goodreads!  I'm so glad you win so often, it's great!  I had stopped entering but I got an email with a link so I clicked on it.   So jazzed that I'm finally a winner! 

It's Diane Setterfield's  "Once Upon a River."  It's a $28 book and it's not being published until December but they're sending the hardcover to me today!  Yay!!!  I liked her "Thirteenth Tale" a lot.  

Congrats Lori.  I'm in a slump for August so far and haven't won one yet.  I've heard of her but her books don't appeal to me.  Enjoy!

Thanks, @SWEET!  Possibly I just borrowed your book luck for a one-off and now it will return to you!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

You've got to be kidding.

Trusted Contributor

I read The River At Night by Erica Perencik. I enjoyed it for the story but did not really care for any of the four main characters. I just didn't really "get" them. Maybe it's because I'm too old for any of those "adventure" vacations.

I also read Close Enough To Touch by Colleen Oakley. This was an enjoyable book about a woman who is allergic to the touch of other humans. The story follows what happens to her after she is forced to rejoin the world after being secluded in her house for nine years. It makes one appreciate our connections to other people. It also talks about the risks we must sometimes take in life in order to reap the rewards.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Sweetbabyjane

I finally won a book on Goodreads!  I'm so glad you win so often, it's great!  I had stopped entering but I got an email with a link so I clicked on it.   So jazzed that I'm finally a winner! 

It's Diane Setterfield's  "Once Upon a River."  It's a $28 book and it's not being published until December but they're sending the hardcover to me today!  Yay!!!  I liked her "Thirteenth Tale" a lot.  

Congrats Lori.  I'm in a slump for August so far and haven't won one yet.  I've heard of her but her books don't appeal to me.  Enjoy!

Thanks, @SWEET!  Possibly I just borrowed your book luck for a one-off and now it will return to you!  Smiley Happy

LOL.  Thanks!