Esteemed Contributor

~~What are you Reading? August 2018 ~~

Happy August 2018. Half the summer is over already!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. 

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Frequent Contributor

Re: ~~What are you Reading? August 2018 ~~

Hi, I hope it's OK for me to post this, but if any book club groups enjoy historical fiction and are interested in the novel TWO EMPRESSES by Brandy Purdy, if you reach out to her, you can do that through her blog, she offers specially discounted packages of multiple copies for book clubs.

Regular Contributor

I just finished THE GOOD WIFE and started THE WIFE BETWEEN US.  Loved the first one and am having trouble putting the second down.  Recommend both.

Respected Contributor

I'm reading Saturday Night Supper Club by Carla Laureano.  Am only a few chapters in but it's about a very successful female chef in Denver.  Someone writes an editorial about her and it goes viral causing her 2 male partners to buy out her contract because of the bad publicity.  Now she finds herself unemployed.  I'm anxious to see where this goes. 

Trusted Contributor

somerset by leila meacham. roses and titans, by the same author, were very good too.

Esteemed Contributor

I just started reading Alexander McCall Smith's newest Isabel Dalhousie book, The Quiet Side of Passion.  His books are always easy and enjoyable reading.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I'm starting August by ptb on The Orchard by Yochi Brandes.  I usually enjoy Jewish-related books but this one was too historical for my liking.

Going to read Elaine Neil Orr's Swimming Between Worlds next.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before and After by Barbara Delinsky.  Story of a mother who was responsible for an auto accident that took the life of her young daughter and another driver.  Very good read.

Frequent Contributor

IF YOU'RE IN MY OFFICE, IT'S ALREADY TOO LATE: a DIVORCE LAWYER'S GUIDE TO STAYING TOGETHER  by James Sexton          A self help type book.  

All marriages end, either by divorce or by death!  This book tells it like it is, whether a person is thinking about getting married, getting divorced, or trying to stay married.  Insightful, such as how most people take more time in picking out a new car than choosing a person to marry!

Trusted Contributor

I read The Girl Before by JP Delaney. It was a bit bizarre but it did keep me turning the pages.

I also read Class Mom by Laurie Gelman which was a funny book about the life of a kindergarten class mom who lives in Overland Park Kansas. I got a few chuckles out of this one (I enjoy sarcasm) I understand that the author is the wife of Michael Gelman who was on the Regis and Kathie Lee show-for all I know he may be on the present show with Kelly Ripa too.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx