Honored Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

I think I'm in a reading rut... I am reading books, but they aren't doing anything for  me and I haven't really enjoyed anything this month.

I just finished Yours After Dark by Marie Force. This is the 20th book in the series and I am pretty sure that I am just completely over it. I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't pay for it--

I also read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, a YA fantasy epic that was supposed to be fantastic and I thought it was lackluster. 

I think I need to re-read a favorite and see if that will break me out of my reading rut.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fabulous read? Any genre - doesn't matter. I will try it!

Try If I Run by Terri Blackstock. I loved it and it'll keep you turning pages. You'll want to read the next two-end of series. But definitely start with If I Run.

Honored Contributor

The Adults, by Caroline Hulse;

Legacy of mercy, by Lynn Austin.

I adored Crawdads and yes it so broke my heart but what a beautiful ending and quite a woman.  Silent Patient I had to return before I finished (only read about four chapters). I had trouble getting into it.  May take myself off the wait list for it again after reading some of the reviews above this post.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori   I haven't heard you mention Backman's new book, Things My Son Needs to Know About the World. Is it not out yet?

It's not coming out until May.  I have it pre-ordered.  Vine reviewers on Amazon have already had their reviews published which is strange because ordinarily they make them wait for publication date too.

Esteemed Contributor

The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory. It's about Kateryn Parr, 6th wife of Henry the V111. I knew about some of his other wives, but hardly anything about Parr. The book is written with her point of view, and is very interesting. This is my first time reading this author. I'll probably check out some of her other books.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Teganslaw, just be aware that Gregory's books often distort the truth.

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Teganslaw, just be aware that Gregory's books often distort the truth.

Some reviewers have said the same thing about her books, but that doesn't bother me. I figured that she takes some poetic license, and writes  according to her views.  The characters were real, but circumstances might have been fiction. I'll keep that in mind while reading. So far, I find the story quite interesting, even if exaggerated in parts.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Just finished Naomi Ragen's An Unorthodox Match.  Really good but heavy in content.  I learn so much from her and Orthodox upbringing.  I'm Jewish but not ultra Orthodox like these people were.  Luckily there was a glossary at the end of the book for all the Yiddish I never grew up with.  LOL.

Going to read something lighter by Patti Callahan Henry -- The Favorite Daughter.  Need a day or so to start this after my last one. 

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori   I haven't heard you mention Backman's new book, Things My Son Needs to Know About the World. Is it not out yet?

It's not coming out until May.  I have it pre-ordered.  Vine reviewers on Amazon have already had their reviews published which is strange because ordinarily they make them wait for publication date too.

lori,well, if anyone should have had an advance copy it is you! Maybe even a free copy autographed by Freddy himself. Maybe even delivered by Freddy himself, what with the free advertising you've given him and us  re: his works. Just kidding but so glad you've got something this big to look forward to! 

Trusted Contributor

I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I know you all have read this long ago. It's been sitting on my shelf and I'm so sorry I didn't read it earlier as I really liked it a lot. I never knew The Channel Islands were occupied during WWII-so this also led me to some other research. I love when I read fiction and learn something that I never knew about before.

I just finished The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain which is a small book about a book store owner who finds a woman's stolen purse in a garbage receptacle and he proceeds to try and track the woman down using the items in her purse as clues. I liked this one too-but I have to say I can find something good in most books. There are few that I really despise.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

lori,well, if anyone should have had an advance copy it is you! Maybe even a free copy autographed by Freddy himself. Maybe even delivered by Freddy himself, what with the free advertising you've given him and us  re: his works. Just kidding but so glad you've got something this big to look forward to! 

Thanks, @Judaline .  I hope you check your notifications...Anyway I don't expect to love this book like the others because I don't and have never had a little son, am childless by choice and the reviews are very mixed, some say the pieces are too short.  So there's every reason for me not to be into it -- and hopefully I'll love it Smiley Happy

I think it will be a while before we get another novel given what he blogged about, the only blog post translated into English, about his depression and anxiety and not wanting to leave the house or his wife's side etc. etc. 

This could be his publisher trying to put out something, anything or it could be part of the way back to peace of mind for him.  I hope it's the latter.