Respected Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

[ Edited ]

I'm okay reading "depressing" books. I'm don't always need things to be happy-go-lucky.

(As far as the Crawdads book goes--it's more inspiring than depressing.)

Respected Contributor

WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING  Delia Owens  (hated it)

A BEAUTIFUL CORPSE  Christi Daugherty

THE RUN AWAY  Harlan Coben

ARROWOOD Laura McHugh

THE NIGHT VISITORS  Carol Goodman

TEN YEARS GONE  Jonathan Dunsky

IN ANOTHER TIME  Jillian Cantor

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

When the Crawdads sings definitely has a following on this board. I have to say that I am very tempted, but everyone keeps mentioning how sad the book is which makes me hesitate. I hate depressing books.

@icezeus  I never thought of Crawdads as depressing.  It is heartbreaking in parts, but the writing is so beautiful and the main character has such a  courageous spirit that I found the story very uplifting.  

I do think it isn't for everyone.  As @Janey2   just noted, she hated it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 @icezeus , I agree with smoky.  I think it is an uplifting story.  I say go for it.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Shell Seekers

September

Comimg Home

Winter Solstice

I hadn't read any of Rosamunde Pilcher's book before and have found them to be very enjoyable. I love the way she winds in family and friendships.

Honored Contributor

I finished Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.  I already love Good Omens and Coraline.  I enjoyed this one and had a good time reading it. 

Next month finally the Good Omens miniseries drops on Amazon Prime and I read Neil Gaiman signed a contract with Amazon to adapt more of his work, so hopefully fans will get a great adaptation of The Graveyard Book.  

Honored Contributor

@Janey2   Waiting patiently (well,not really) for A Beautiful Corpse. I really like her books.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori   I haven't heard you mention Backman's new book, Things My Son Needs to Know About the World. Is it not out yet?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I'm in a reading rut... I am reading books, but they aren't doing anything for  me and I haven't really enjoyed anything this month.

I just finished Yours After Dark by Marie Force. This is the 20th book in the series and I am pretty sure that I am just completely over it. I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't pay for it--

I also read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, a YA fantasy epic that was supposed to be fantastic and I thought it was lackluster. 

I think I need to re-read a favorite and see if that will break me out of my reading rut.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fabulous read? Any genre - doesn't matter. I will try it!

Esteemed Contributor

SparklesMcGee: some books I liked are The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg and The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa. For a suspense novel, there is The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson. One of the best thrillers I've read.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain