Honored Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

The Mother-In-Law, by Sally Hepworth;

The Romanov Empress, a novel of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna, by

C.W. Gortner.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I'm late to the party. I just finished Michelle Obama's book Becoming. It was an interesting read. I did find it odd how so much time was spent on her life prior to White House, then a lot about the campaining, some stories from 1st term then 2nd term in White House was just an afterthought. It felt like her editor told her the book was running too long and wrap it up! LOL Since I had just returned from a trip to DC, I was wanting more of the White House scoop. 

I'm on hold at the library for the new Barbara Bush book. Looking forward to reading it after seeing the author recently on a tv show. 

Trusted Contributor

I wanted a light fluff cozy mystery so I read the latest Joanne Fluke book Chocolate Cream Pie. I've read the entire series. I really enjoyed the beginning of the series but its gone downhill on the recent ones when she quickly wrapped up the love triangle story line. Reading reviews on Goodreads, it looks like many people have the same feeling - continue to read the series out of habit but not loving it anymore. 

Respected Contributor

Just finished To Die But Once by Jacqueline Winspear.  It is # 14 in her "Maisie Dobbs" series.  It can be read as a standalone book. This one deals with life in Britain in the early days of WW II and the role greed played in tragedies in families.  This is a very good series.  Tonight I will start # 15, The American Agent.

Valued Contributor

1. I was disappointed in Laura Lippmann ‘s book,BY A SIPDER’S THREAD, it was very slow, more than once I thought to pull it! That last bit was an interesting ending to the book, I must say. I there seems to be more religious parts in this book too. That is not something I care for especially in a mystery  type of book, 
Regular Contributor

Mrs. Kennedy by Barbara Leaming

A great biography by Barbara Leaming, on Jackie.  Jackie was the glue that held the president togethr.
A fascinating look at the First Lady who dealt with with more than most would put up with and still remaind one of the classiest first ladies

There are pages of footnotes where the author procured the information

I would highly recommend this book.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm reading "THE 18TH ABDUCTION" by James Patterson.  It's the latest in his Women's Murder Club mystery series.

A friend told me about the Inspector Banks mystery books by Peter Robinson.  I read the first one, "GALLOWS VIEW" and really liked it.  So, I am going to start making my way through that series of 23 books.

@smoky22 - I was browsing through the Book Depository website and saw that Alexander McCall Smith will have new Isabel Dalhousie and Ulf Varg books out in April 2020.  And, Elly Griffiths will have a new Ruth Galloway book out in the UK in February 2020, called "THE LANTERN MAN."  Don't read the plot summary of this new book until you have already read "THE STONE CIRCLE," as it has spoilers.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  thanks for all the info on the upcoming books.  

It's funny, I have Gallows View on my kindle right now.  Haven't started it yet.  I'll probably be on the 2nd one and you will have read all 23, lol.  I'm still trying to make my way back to finishing the Roderick Alleyn series.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading The Widower's Notebook A Memoir by Jonathan Santlofer, it was sad but interesting.

If you have lost a loved one this book will bring you to tears, but it may you help with your process of grief, there is no right way to grieve or not to grieve, men and women are held to different standards on how to display their grief, and what is the right time frame to fall in love and marry after a partner or spouse has died?

After finishing the book you will look at death differently and not allow people to tell you how to deal with it, and YES people can be cruel with their remarks. my own sister told me to Let it Go, sung like in the movie Frozen, of all people I thought my family would have understood my grief for my Mom and Dad.  Overall we are never promised tomorrow, so tell the people you love that you love them, and always remember to be kind with your words, they might be the last thing you say to someone, I am grateful that I was allowed to say goodbye to both of my parents and to tell them how much I loved them, it was a very emotional book for me, but it was interesting!

Next up Breathtaker by Alice Blanchard, so far it is starting off with a bang!

Respected Contributor

I finished Under the Table by Stephanie Evanovich (author Janet Evanovich is her aunt).  It was a great story about a woman who is taking a year away from her husband to decide if they should get a divorce.  She moves to NYC and lives with her sister.  She is a chef and working to start her own catering business.  Her first client is a very nice man and they become friends.  It's a great book and I highly recommend it.