Regular Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

[ Edited ]

The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Bostwick.....historical fiction based on the life of Hedy Lamar....who knew that besides being an actress her invention during the war eventually led the way to frequencies we use today for communications.

Home Again by Kristin Hannah

The Cottages at Silver Beach by Rayanne Thane

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@abbalulu 

I was reading Lily James's IMDB page and saw she starred in the film of the Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society.  I didn't even know they made it into a movie!  It came out in 2018 and has pretty good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Anyone see it?

@LoriLori   Yes, I saw it. It was very good. I hadn’t read the book.

@proudlyfromNJ , thanks!  I would never think of that book as a good movie because the book is told through letters.  Now I'm going to look for it!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22:  I started The Silent Patient a few weeks ago.  The first chapter or so was "whoa" and I remember thinking "this is going to be interesting".  And that was as interesting as it got.  I read another few chapters because I wanted to see the relationship between the doctor and her.  Then nothing.  I returned it and may go back at a later time.

Well, I haven't been on this site for a while and I really don't know why!  

I got caught up on a new book from Goodreads that I had offered to read & review.  That took longer than I expected.  Not a good sign when I'm dragging thru a book.

I then read The tattooist of Auschwitz.  Very good book and I know it's based on a true story.

I'm now reading The Light Over London.  I'm about 1/2 way thru.  It's not knocking my sox off yet. But I'm not done yet.

Happy reading!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

When the Crawdads sings definitely has a following on this board. I have to say that I am very tempted, but everyone keeps mentioning how sad the book is which makes me hesitate. I hate depressing books.

I finished the Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark, and I currently have two books open that I am reading. Happy ever after by Nora Roberts and Mortal Prey by John Sandford.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to read Where The Crawdads Sing???  It's overrated in my opinon and it's not my type of book so I'm passing but I've heard wonderful things about it. 

I tend to go in the opposite direction with very popular books unless they are in my genre or by a favorite author.

@SWEET   -  nope, as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to read it either. I waited on my library's wait list twice, had it twice, and tried to read it twice. I just had no interest in any of it. I know some people loved it and I'm very happy that they did, but it's just not for me.

I also have no interest in seeing Hamilton on Broadway. No interest whatsoever. I know people that have spent a lot of money to see it, and I wouldn't see it for free. It's just not my kind of show.

Different strokes...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

When the Crawdads sings definitely has a following on this board. I have to say that I am very tempted, but everyone keeps mentioning how sad the book is which makes me hesitate. I hate depressing books.

I finished the Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark, and I currently have two books open that I am reading. Happy ever after by Nora Roberts and Mortal Prey by John Sandford.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to read Where The Crawdads Sing???  It's overrated in my opinon and it's not my type of book so I'm passing but I've heard wonderful things about it. 

I tend to go in the opposite direction with very popular books unless they are in my genre or by a favorite author.

@SWEET   -  nope, as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to read it either. I waited on my library's wait list twice, had it twice, and tried to read it twice. I just had no interest in any of it. I know some people loved it and I'm very happy that they did, but it's just not for me.

I also have no interest in seeing Hamilton on Broadway. No interest whatsoever. I know people that have spent a lot of money to see it, and I wouldn't see it for free. It's just not my kind of show.

Different strokes...

I agree with you about Hamilton also.  People go see it more than once too.  It's been here in DC area a few times and I think there were people camping out for them also. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris it was a very good book, I had a hard time putting it down!  I do not want to say too much but it was somewhat disturbing in parts but happy is other spots that kind of outweighed the disturbing, it was good!

Esteemed Contributor

Today I will be starting Mind Games by Nancy Mehl I have no memory what this is about so it will be a surprise when I start reading, will post my final review when I finish!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris it was a very good book, I had a hard time putting it down!  I do not want to say too much but it was somewhat disturbing in parts but happy is other spots that kind of outweighed the disturbing, it was good!

@CareBears . This is on my to be read list....Thanks for the review!

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I think you will enjoy it, we generally enjoy the same books, most of the time anyway!

Respected Contributor

I finished The Overlook (13th in the Harry Bosch series).  I had the case figured out in the first couple of chapters but it was still good.

Now I'm reading Verses For The Dead (the latest in the Agent Pendergast series).  His superiors are making him work with a partner.  Should be interesting.

I had a message on my kindle this morning:

"In March, you read a total of 31 days.  This is an increase of 3 days over the previous month.  Keep it up!"

LOL. Since February only had 28 days, this message is really dumb.  I'm guessing it came from Goodreads.