Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

I just finished book 6 of Catherine Lee's Dark Series, Dark Country.  The topic was especially disturbing as it dealt with cruelty with farm animals and greyhounds.  I am not sure that I would have even started the book if I had known that, but it certainly gives me a great deal to think about.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo, Reese Witherspoon’s book club pick for April.

Do you know how I can tell when I really like/connect with a novel?  I immediately purchase prior books from the author! Will eventually be listening to her first novel The Ghost Bride in the upcoming months.

Takes place in 1930’s Malaysia, full of folklore and superstition. Plus a bit of romance! Loved the main female character, Ji Lin, but actually each character was really well written. Warning for those who don’t like this format - the chapters switch back and forth between Ji Lin’s timeline and another character’s.  Ji Lin is told in the first person while the other is in third.

Author narrated her own book and she was incredible!

Currently listening to Miracle Creek and enjoying this one as well.  I’m about a 1/3 through and I’m still not sure what or who caused the explosion that is at the center of this courtroom drama.

Respected Contributor

Finished Sandi Jones The First Mistake.  What a twister of a book that I didn't see it coming or figure it out.

Next is Jennifer Chiaverini's Resistance Women.  Going back to historical fiction for a change.

Honored Contributor

Miss Bingley Requests, by Judy McCrosky;

Unquiet, by Linn Ullmann; translated from the Norwegian by Thilo Reinhard                  

Lost Roses, by Martha Hall Kelly.                                                    

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I finished ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LIES, it was really good! Great ending. I am now starting THE CHOICE, by Nicholas Sparks.

Respected Contributor

I just finished reading Blood Sisters by Jane Corry.  There are lots of secrets in the story.  The book has a happy ending.  Or does it?  You decide...

Regular Contributor

I binge-read books 2, 3, and 4 of the Game of Thrones series:

A Clash of Kings; A Storm of Swords; A Feast for Crows - that's a lot of pages!!!

I also reviewed some books for NetGalley. The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren was so much fun! I laughed out loud and really enjoyed the romance in this book. Look forward to this one on May 14th!

I also read the WW2 historical fiction novel, Mistress of the Ritz by Melanie Benjamin, and mystery/thriller, The Night Before by Wendy Walker. Both books were also ARCs coming in May.

Esteemed Contributor

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

I binge-read books 2, 3, and 4 of the Game of Thrones series:

A Clash of Kings; A Storm of Swords; A Feast for Crows - that's a lot of pages!!!

I also reviewed some books for NetGalley. The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren was so much fun! I laughed out loud and really enjoyed the romance in this book. Look forward to this one on May 14th!

I also read the WW2 historical fiction novel, Mistress of the Ritz by Melanie Benjamin, and mystery/thriller, The Night Before by Wendy Walker. Both books were also ARCs coming in May.

@SparklesMcGee 

I love a book that makes me laugh. I have added this book to my TBR list.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I finished ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LIES, it was really good! Great ending. I am now starting THE CHOICE, by Nicholas Sparks.

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I was going to check out "The Choice" on Goodreads to see what it was about. When I looked it up  I recognized the picture of the man and the woman on the cover. I saw the movie last year sometime, and I really enjoyed it. 

Respected Contributor

„The Last Mrs Parrish“ just kept getting more and more intriguing. Grabbed me from beginning.