Trusted Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished Before She Knew Him (Peter Swanson) and I was wrong about it not being interesting.   It really picked up after my last post and became a page turner.  However, the end was sort of an anti-climax for me.  I would still recommend it.  

I agree with you, @smoky22 .  I thought it was a pretty good book, although not fantastic.  None of his subsequent books have surpassed his first one, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen, it was a book that had me turning the pages, and I must say it was unusual as far as the story goes, I personally expected a bigger more climatic ending, but the ending was not bad, I have to think about this one to absorb all the information if that makes any sense?

Respected Contributor

Today I finished Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.  It is her first fiction book and it is very good.  I know it has been discussed here before and several of my friends have read the book and raved about it.  In my opinion, the main character was well written because she was someone I cared about.  The description was excellent, but honestly sometimes I don't like too much description. The storyline was good, there were some themes of human existence that were good, but there were a couple of aspects that I have some criticism of, again, just my opinion.  I dislike the literary device of switching back and forth between time periods and that was used heavily in the book.  I also think the development of the two romantic interests in the story was a bit uneven and needed a little tweaking.  All-in-all though definitely a book worth reading.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I just could not take it anymore and I decided to move forward and request from my library system, Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. A book that has received  rave reviews on this forum. There are 40 books in the system, and I am number 281.

I have never requested a book, and had such a high number before I am up. LOL

Popular book. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am reading The Breathtaker, Alice Blanchard.  It is an attention grabber and a page turner so far.  I am about 1/3 through.  Someone here must have recommended it.  Mystery/detective story.  Check it out on Goodreads.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished The A List by J.A. Jance.  This is her new book in the Ali Reynolds series.  It was very good and I recommend it.  The first part of the book had a lot of (maybe too much) backstory about the characters and occurances in this series, so you could read and appreciate it without reading the others.  

The plot of this book was interesting.  It focuses on issues and crimes related to artificial insemination.  Revenge was a huge theme.  

Trusted Contributor

The Huntress by Kate Quinn

Esteemed Contributor

This week I finished vengeance in death by J.D. Robb, and Breaking Silence by Linda Castillo.

I am about to start Soul Harvest by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, I am also reading Forever Mine by Anna Zaires book 4 that finishes this series. (Explicit book). and Don't Tell by Karen Rose.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Catherine Lee's Dark Chemistry.  This is about drugs and gambling in sports and takes place in Australia.  Another good book by this author.  Each of her books has a theme that seems relevant in today's world.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Wanted to get away from mysteries for awhile; back to Terry Pratchett's Discworld:  Going Postal.

Thief and embezzler Moist Von Lipwig is about to be hanged for his crimes, when he's saved at the last minute by being offered a government job. He has to revitalize the city's postal system, when is in disarray. He's helped by a golum , a junior postmaster (an ancient man who has never been promoted), and a young boy who is an expert on pins. Moist knows nothing about the job, but that doesn't matter. He has to do it if he doesn't want to be executed.

Terry Pratchett's books are fun to read; I have no idea where he got his ideas.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain