QVC Customer Care

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My most recent reads were "AN ANONYMOUS GIRL," a new thriller by Greer Hendricks and "KUSHNER, INC." by Vicky Ward, a new political non-fiction book.  Both were interesting in their very different ways.  Next up are "BEFORE SHE KNEW HIM," a new thriller by Peter Swanson and "THE A LIST," the latest in J. A. Jance's Ali Reynolds' mystery series.

Respected Contributor

Finished Patti Callahan Henry's The Favorite Daughter.  I give it 3 stars.  It was a sad book overall but not depressing.

Onto Marc Hess' The Gillespie County Fair

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Playing for Keeps by Jill Shalvis I enjoyed the book. Your typical love story but if you are offended by some explicit sexual content, you will not like this book, not overly explicit but some just FYI  I loved the dog that was a big part of this book, I fell in love with the sweet personally of the dog, YES I am a big sucker for animals!

Next up Turning Point by Danielle Steel, I have no idea what it is about, I just heard she had a new book out, and I request it, if nothing, I am a loyal fan of certain authors!

Regular Contributor

I am out of my reading slump! I ended up reading the second book in the Game of Thrones series: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I had read the first one years ago. As I rearranging the bookshelves in the living room, I picked it up and started reading! 

Now I am reading Book 3 - A Storm of Swords, as well as Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas and need to pick up Swamplandia! by Karen Russell before my library book club meets in a couple weeks.

Respected Contributor

SparklesMcGee, I'll be waiting to hear your remarks on Swamplandia! A usually reliable friend of mine recommended that book to me years ago; I thought it was unbearable.

Respected Contributor

@SparklesMcGee  I was pretty sure I read Swamplandia but I had to check on Goodreads to be sure.  I don't remember a thing about it.  I read it in January 2016 and rated it 2 stars.  Apparently I didn't really care for it.  I wonder how your book club will like it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Dark Past by Catherine Lee.  This is Book 2 of the Dark Series, based in Australia, featuring Cooper and Quinn.  This series, so far, is excellent.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena. A lodge in the Catskills seems like a good place for a weekend retreat. However, guests are stranded when an ice storm knocks out electricity, they lose cell phone service and roads are closed. Then people are being killed off. 

This book is a fast paced thriller. The characters are interesting-everyone seems to have a secret- and the mood is tense. I've read half, and it keeps one guessing. Remind me not to visit a lodge in the Catskills anytime soon.

@teganslaw  I just finished An Unwanted Guest.  I picked up because of your post.  It is a fast-paced and fun read.  I finished it in a day. It was a good mystery and reminds me of the Murder on the Orient Express.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Washington Black (Esi Edugyan), a finalist for the  Mann Booker Prize, not the winner.  The first half of the book is riveting, definitely 5 stars.  And the writing is beautiful throughout.  But somewhere along the way it becomes less fascinating and almost tedious, with story lines that go nowhere.  The ending was a complete letdown for me.