Respected Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? April 2019

Well, maybe I will give her one more shot...off to reserve House Girl. TY.

@maximillian wrote:

@Ainhisg 

I heard some negatives about the book you read also.  Tara Conklin did write House Girl. I read that recently and liked it.  Some authors are very "uneven," some good books, others not so much.  I do recommend House Girl.

Honored Contributor

I have a few  books in progress ... all on my Kindle so it's easy to swich around.  I can't read just one book at time.  That the reason I love my Kindle ... all 645 books are always nearby!

1.  Inside the Atheist Mind: Unmasking the Religion of Those Who Say There is No God (Anthony De Stefano)

2.  The Great Divorce: A Bible Study on the C. S. Lewis Book "The Great Divorce."  I read The Great Divorce last year..  My goal is to read all of CS Lewis this year.  

3.   Every Earthly Blessing:  Rediscovering the Celtic Tradition.  I downloaded this because Esther De Waal is the author.  

4.  Ancestral Journeys:  The Peoplng of Europe from the First Venturers to the VikingsThis is particularly interesting since it includes DNA evidence rather than just archeology.  

5.  At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald.  Just started.  I hadn't even heard of George MacDonald until recently and now it seems everything I pick up has some reference to him.  Apparently he influenced a number of other British writers. 

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Kinship of Secrets by Eugenia Kim.  It is a book about a family separated by the Korean War.  Mom, Dad, and the older sister are in America, and the younger sister was left in Korea. Overall, It is an interesting book. But I feel like the second half of the book kind of lost its momentum and became a little bit boring.  

Regular Contributor

Daisy Jones and the six: A novel (Taylor J. Reid)

I.M. a memoir  (Isaac Mizrahi)

Respected Contributor

I finished The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths, who writes the Ruth Galloway series.  This stand alone book is delightfully different and so clever.  I usually don't like shifting narrators, but it's done to perfection here.  Beautifully atmospheric, a little creepy, and just fun to read.  I adored this book.  

Regular Contributor

I finished a lot of books over my Spring Break.

Some were great:

Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren - contemporary romance

Fatal Invasion (Book 13 in the Fatal Series) by Marie Force - romantic suspense 

The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff - historical women's fiction

Others were not so great:

My Little Secret by LA Casey - Irish romance that didn't hold my interest.

The Accidental Beauty Queen by Teri Wilson - just not for me...

Trusted Contributor

Daisy Jones and the Six.  Great flashback to the 70's.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What you Reading? April 2019

After reading several mysteries, I selected THE WEDDING, Sparks. Just for a change. So far, so good. Empty nester stuff so I can relate.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@Ainhisg  I am so sorry you didn’t like that book ,I  LOVED that book. I thought it had everything for a book liked that,plus I don’t read that type of book a lot. Hope your next book is better.

Respected Contributor

@number one queen wrote:

@Ainhisg  I am so sorry you didn’t like that book ,I  LOVED that book. I thought it had everything for a book liked that,plus I don’t read that type of book a lot. Hope your next book is better.

Well, someone else said her other book was better (The House Girl), so I put it on hold at my library and will go pick it up tomorrow.  I do understand that some authors' books  are better than others that they write, so before I write her off, I will try another.  Just like Liane Moriarty is one of my favorite authors.  I've always liked all of her books for the most part.  But the last one she wrote?  Awful.  That is just my opinion but others have felt much the same way.