Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

@catlover00 wrote:
I just started COCOA BEACH by Beatriz Williams. Has anyone read this or anything else by this author?

Do not stop with this one of her's.  Hit the library and enjoy the wonderful books by her.  My library as 10 of her books and I have read them all and none have disapointed me.  Have a greatime @catlover00 

http://beatrizwilliams.com/books/

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I'm reading Stephen King's The Outsider.

I've been off him for years because he uses thirty words where one will do.  I'll never understand how his first, "Carrie," was so short and spare.  He never did that again, not even in short stories! 

And he's so not good with words.  On the first page of this book he says one of the cops is "as big as a house."  That's so bad it's an easy "F" in writing class.

But at his best he comes up with terrific stories -- a terrible writer of wonderful plots -- and early on in this one I'm hooked.  I know I'm going to love it even though it's hurting my arms.

Trusted Contributor

Am starting, “ The Paris Seamstress” by Natasha Lester after lunch. On deck is “Beartown” by Fredrick Back,an. Am reading off my TBR list and some books of my own in my reading cave bookcase.

Honored Contributor

Frederik Backman fan alert:  

Just got my confirmation from Amazon that his newest, which is a book essays that in advance was said to be short but it's 208 pages, will be published (and delivered to me) tomorrow:

Things My Son Needs to Know

One review on Amazon calls it a "stand up routine."  I'm up for that!!!

Contributor

@beckyb1012

Thank you for the response! I hoping I do enjoy her as I love historical fiction. I just finished A WELL BEHAVED WOMAN: A NOVEL OF THE VANDERBILTS which was fantastic. This book will have to live up to high standards!
Super Contributor

Read 'Ladies Who Punch' by Rain Setoodeh over the weekend. I probably watched 'The View' ten times since it premiered but couldn't put this one down. The subtitle is 'The Explosie Inside Story of The View'. Really enjoyed it! 

Esteemed Contributor

Still reading David Copperfield (it's a long book) , but am finding some unusual things. David isn't always a likeable person; he does some questionable things. Wondering about his relationships: he seems to love two women at the same time and is just leading them on.

He doesn't seem to be trustworthy and tends to hang around with the wrong kind of person.

Overall, I like the story and Dickens' style of writing. It's like I'm transported back into the 1800's.  

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Burying Place. Brian Freeman

Honored Contributor

The Age Of Light, by Whitney Scharer;

Anne of Green Gables, (3 novels in 1), by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I am reading My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing.

All I can say is WOW!  Not sure how I feel about this one; it is totally different from anything else I have read.  Very creepy!