Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett. In 1866  England a student drowns at an exclusive boy's school. The book details the banking crisis, treachery, and how the tragedy affects those involved throughout decades. It's one of Follett's earlier books and is very interesting.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego.,

Oh good, then it's not just me!Woman LOL

The Guest Book was shown in a recent Book Browse e-mail for upcoming book clubs suggestions.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover 

Oops!  Sorry for the error!  It reminds me of a quote...was it by Mark Twain...?  Anyway, someone had been notified that there were rumors of his death and the person was very much alive.  The quote goes something like this:  "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Honored Contributor

I fnished Alice Hoffman "Seventh Heaven."  I love her books so much.

Trusted Contributor

I picked up two new books at the library today:

"DYING FOR DEVIL'S FOOD" by Jenn McKinlay (the latest in her Cupcake Shop cozy mystery series)

"THE ROAD TO GRANTCHESTER" by James Runcie (this is a prequel to the books and tv series, which shows Sidney's life before coming to Grantchester)

Honored Contributor

Game Of Bones, by Carolyn Haines;

The Better Sister, by Alafair Burke.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

"DYING FOR DEVIL'S FOOD" by Jenn McKinlay (the latest in her Cupcake Shop cozy mystery series)

"THE ROAD TO GRANTCHESTER" by James Runcie (this is a prequel to the books and tv series, which shows Sidney's life before coming to Grantchester)

@dawg lover  I have The Road to Grantchester on waitlist.  My wait time is estimated at 14 weeks, lol.   Have you read when the series is coming back to PBS?  I know it has started in the UK.  I wonder how I'll like it without James Norton.  

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

@dawg lover  I have The Road to Grantchester on waitlist.  My wait time is estimated at 14 weeks, lol.   Have you read when the series is coming back to PBS?  I know it has started in the UK.  I wonder how I'll like it without James Norton.  

@smoky22  - I read somewhere that it will be back in July?  Sidney will be in the first few episodes, I believe.  I wonder if the show will keep my interest without him, too.  So far, the book is not very good.  It is all about Sidney's war years right now, and I am just skimming through it.  I hope it will get better.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22  - just wanted to add that I finished "THE ROAD TO GRANTCHESTER."  The book did improve after the war years.  Overall, it was okay.

Esteemed Contributor

This thread is now closed.

Please see our new JUNE 2019 thread.

Enjoy!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett