Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Before She Knew Him, by Peter Swanson.

@beckyb1012 . I read this one, you will have to let me know what you think once you have finished!

Wow that was some kind of book.  So different than any other thriller I have read in quite a while.  I did not see the way it was headed at all.  Book cover says he is at home working on his next novel and I am anxiously waiting.  Fabulous book @CANDLEQUEEN 

Reading now: A Desperate Hope, by Elizabeth Camden;

A Welcome At Our Door, by Amy Clipston.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Got the new release How to Forget by Kate Mulgrew yesterday and read it throughout the day. 

Have the tissues ready if you read it.  It's a lovely memoir about how she and her five siblings coped with first their father passing from cancer within 3 weeks and then the mother during her nine years with Alzheimers. The mom got me and so did a small scene between she and one of her sisters who she has never really connected with during their dad's vigil and couldn't even then.  

Much better than her first memoir five years ago if true life reads are your thing.

Honored Contributor

The Night Before, by Wendy Walker.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 . That is another book on my list-it has great reviews!!!!Please post if you liked it. We have such similar tastes in books, so I always look for your reviews! Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 . That is another book on my list-it has great reviews!!!!Please post if you liked it. We have such similar tastes in books, so I always look for your reviews! Thanks! 

I have definitely noticed that similarity too @CANDLEQUEEN.  Just started it this a.m. as my "bike riding book" so will make it last at least two more mornings.  When books keep my mind off the exercise I want to stretch them out.  So it may be Tues. with the long weekend coming up before I get back to you on it.  Funny thing it came up yesterday on a Goodreads email I got and sounded so good I went to put a hold on it at the library.  It declined my request so I went to view my account and I had already checked the book out.  Sure enough I got home last night and there it was on my coffee table with stacks of other library books. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I have definitely noticed that similarity too @CANDLEQUEEN.  Just started it this a.m. as my "bike riding book" so will make it last at least two more mornings.  When books keep my mind off the exercise I want to stretch them out.  So it may be Tues. with the long weekend coming up before I get back to you on it.  Funny thing it came up yesterday on a Goodreads email I got and sounded so good I went to put a hold on it at the library.  It declined my request so I went to view my account and I had already checked the book out.  Sure enough I got home last night and there it was on my coffee table with stacks of other library books. Woman Very Happy

@beckyb1012 . Sounds good.  I will be out of town all weekend anyway, so whenever you get a chance is fine. Thanks and Have a Nice, Safe Holiday Weekend! 

Respected Contributor

“With this snappy period piece, Towles resurrects the cinematic black-and-white Manhattan of the golden age…[his] characters are youthful Americans in tricky times, trying to create authentic lives.” The New York Times Book Review

“This very good first novel about striving and surviving in Depression-era Manhattan deserves attention…The great strength of Rules of Civility is in the sharp, sure-handed evocation of Manhattan in the late ‘30s.” Wall Street Journal

“Put on some Billie Holiday, pour a dry martini and immerse yourself in the eventful life of Katey Kontent…[Towles] clearly knows the privileged world he’s writing about, as well as the vivid, sometimes reckless characters who inhabit it.” People

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This week I finished Edge of Evil by J.A. Jance. This was a new author for me and I really enjoyed the book which is the first in her Ali Reynolds Series. It was refreshing to have an older female protagonist that was in her her 40's.

I am currently reading The Wife between us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen.

I have to edit my earlier post on The Wife between Us. I realized that I have been reading this book for the better part of this week and I am not even 50 pages in. A clear sign that I am not enjoying the book. Its not a bad book, Sometimes  a particular story line for whatever reason does not inspire me to keep reading.  I dropped it off at the Library on my way home from work, and I have started What Alice forgot by Liane Moriarty.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to say I couldn't finish Amy Doan Mason's Summer Hours.  Sometimes I can get into chick lit (depending on the ages of the characters) and this one I couldn't.

Onto Katherine Center's Things You Save In A Fire (coming out in August) which I received from publisher.  I loved her last one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Long Gone by Alafair Burke. Alice Humphreys has been unemployed for 8 months when a stranger offers her a job managing an art gallery. The catch is that she has to show exhibits of his client's lover, which are controversial. After a few months she can choose her own clients. However, the stranger who offered the job is found murdered, and the gallery stripped clean. Alice is the main suspect and has to try to prove her innocence.

I didn't care about the book 212 by Burke, but decided to give her another try. This one is holding my interest. There are different characters and I'm wondering how they will all be connected.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain