Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

@Lilysmom  I also enjoyed The Storyteller's Secret. Try A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mizra. It was just as good.

Honored Contributor

Before She Knew Him, by Peter Swanson.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Finished THE LYING GAME, and am now starting MY LOVELY WIFE! Can't wait to get started on this one after reading so many great reviews......

The Lying Game was good, and it was probably my favorite of Ruth Ware's books so far, it started a little slow for me, but ended up being good!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Finished Stephen King's The Outsider.  I stopped reading him a while ago and I'm so glad I read it because I loved it.

As a palate cleanser I'm reading comfy Alice Hoffman's Seventh Heaven.  I love her.  (Sunala, if you're reading this, I know you do too!)  I've almost all of her books but deliberately left a few so I never run out of her.  Liane Moriarty hasn't written nearly as many but I've done the same with her.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Before She Knew Him, by Peter Swanson.

@beckyb1012 . I read this one, you will have to let me know what you think once you have finished!

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori , I just loved The Outsider.  I never really read King until the trilogy with Mr. Mercedes.  I don’t love all of his books but ones like this I don’t want to end.  The man can tell a story.  Very good character development.  I feel like I am in their skin!  I need another good book like that.  I feel like I am coasting through some mediocre books lately.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 , thank you.  I will look for it.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@LoriLori , I just loved The Outsider.  I never really read King until the trilogy with Mr. Mercedes.  I don’t love all of his books but ones like this I don’t want to end.  The man can tell a story.  Very good character development.  I feel like I am in their skin!  I need another good book like that.  I feel like I am coasting through some mediocre books lately.  LM

In their skin, no pun intended!  Hah!  I saw posts from people on Goodreads angry they didn't know there were three prequels but everyone responded it's a standalone book and you didn't need to read the others.  I didn't miss them.  I didn't get the Harlen Coben references either and I still loved it!

I hadn't read him since Bag of Bones (except Joyland, which was different and disappointing).  My favorites are still Salem's Lot and Needful Things.  Loved the others but except for Carrie, too long, including It..  I think The Stand is genius but it's just way too long to be a favorite.  

Needful Things doesn't get a lot of love but I love it so much.  Have you read that and Bag of Bones?

Valued Contributor

I finally completed Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi...meh!

Today I started The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael

Chabon.  This book was referenced in Dear Evan Hansen, and 

I live 45 miles from Pittsburgh, So far, it is a relatively easy read and I recognize the different settings.

Valued Contributor

I am in the middle of The Silent Patient. Not sure where it is going (so tempted to look at the end, which I do sometimes).  It's ok so far.

I've read so many books but instantly forgoet the titles. So I see books recommended on here and if they don't have a synopsis, I don't know if I have read them or not!!! Does that happen to you???