Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

I finished Patient Zero by John Maberry. and tomorrow I will be starting Edge of Evil by J.A. Jance. 

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Patient Zero, the book contains zombies, but before anyone rolls their eyes, it was not "The Walking Dead" type of zombies everywhere. I appreciated the angle that the author provided and I could actually see a biological warfare type of weapon being used in this manner. 

Honored Contributor

I just started When We Found Home, by Susan Mallery. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

I was recommended to read ELLY GRIFFITHS - Ruth Galloway  series.  Started with book #1 now on book # 5.  Really loving this series very enjoyable.

Respected Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

I was recommended to read ELLY GRIFFITHS - Ruth Galloway  series.  Started with book #1 now on book # 5.  Really loving this series very enjoyable.

@dulwich  I'm so glad you're enjoying this series.  It's one of my favorites.  I'm almost finished with book #11 (The Stone Circle) and I don't want it to end.

Respected Contributor

@smoky22  You’ve finished #11 glad I still have some to go.  Love this lady’s writing and my maiden name before marriage was Griffiths!  

Respected Contributor

I just read there will be a 5th Jackson Brodie (Kate Atkinson) called Big Sky and it's coming out June 25th.  The last one was published in 2011.  I'm so happy she's doing another one, but it's been so long, I may have to reread the first four.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 yet Lisa Scottoline can be hilariously funny in those short essays she wrote with her daughter.

Honored Contributor

Just finished The Last Mrs. Parrish.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Department of Sensitive Crimes by Alexander McCall Smith.

The Lost for Words Bookshop by Stephanie Butland.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to a couple Audibles this week.

From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home by Tembi Locke, this month’s Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick. Would have never selected it myself, but I did enjoy it for the descriptions of Italy and the food (a recipe book is included and already made an easy item that everyone loved!) Although it’s about loss, I didn’t find it unbearably sad. Well written but I did think went a little long and some people may find some descriptions a little eye-rolling.

Things My Son Needs to Know About the World by Fredrick Backman. Full disclosure: I don’t have children and admittedly sometimes find them quite annoying. I can’t say if much of what he says is unique, but there were some characteristic moments of Blackman humor and heart. Unrelated to the book, I was pleasantly surprised that I recognized the narrator!  If anyone is in NYC and just wants to laugh, go see Tootsie starring the narrator Santino Fontana. Saw it pre-Broadway in Chicago and it was already very funny; I’m sure it’s even better now.

For my next Audible, I’m excited to be returning to 1920’s Colonial India where I’m learning about princely states, solving mysteries and inappropriately spying on men practicing yoga.