Valued Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

Today I started Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich et. al.

I will be seeeing it on stage on May 25.  As a retired English teacher, I always try to read the original before watching on film or stage. The original is almost always superior.

Honored Contributor

California Girls, by Susan Mallery;

Broken Bone China, by Laura Childs.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I was trying to read The Empty Chair  (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by Jefferey  Deaver. I realized that I had been trying to read this book for about two weeks. It does not take me two weeks to read a book. I returned it to the Library.

I finished I'm Watching You by Karen Rose, and currently I am reading Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. It's a different kind of book, and I was not sure if I would like it, but so far I am enjoying it. 

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Just finished her Daughter's Mother, I won it through Goodreads, it is out for sale June 2019. It was fantastic, a solid 5 stars.....An excellent thriller.....Pick it up if you get a chance, it was really really good! Next up is THE LYING GAME, by Ruth Ware.......

Is that by Patti Callahan Henry?  If so, I won mine through Gooreads too and thought the book was good but there was no happiness.  I thought the whole book was sad!

@SWEET Hi. No, This one was by Daniela Petrova....It was really really good, very high ratings on Goodreads as well.

Honored Contributor

I was gifted Sapiens for my birthday and I have to say although I've just started, it's very interesting.  

I also read two Harlequin Presents novels from the library this week because I've been asked to write for them and I have no idea what I am doing.  Romance like that is really not my thing.  Interesting what holds other readers' attention.  

I have also pre-ordered How to Forget by Kate Mulgrew.  Looking forward to that one in a couple weeks although I hear lots of tissues may be in order.  Those who got an ARC seem to really love it.  

Trusted Contributor

I finally read book 1 of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mystery series. It's called A Cold Day for Murder.  It's set in Alaska so it felt like a mini-vacation reading about the gorgeous scenery. I enjoyed the book and have put the next one at hold at the library. 

Regular Contributor

I finished Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson. I started out really intriuged and couldn't turn the pages fast enough, but the ending was terrible. I feel really let down. I also read My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyikan Braithwaite - another one that started out really strong, but lost me at the end...

Now I am listening to The Burning Issue of the Day, book #5 in the Lady Hardcastle series by TE Kinsey. I am reading The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg.

Esteemed Contributor

Today I finished The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff. 

I only had a few chapters left and both dogs wanted their dinner and I HAD to finish it. I liked Where the Crawdads  Sing also. 

Returning to the library with recommendations from the Book Club!

Respected Contributor

I just finished Then She Was Gone (Lisa Jewell).  As with the other two books I read by this author, it's very well written, but I found it disturbing.   I read that she had a different ending in mind and her editor convinced her this was the way to go.  It's more shocking this way, but not an improvement in my opinion.

Currently re-reading The Moreland Series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles.