Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

I finished The Paragon Hotel (Lyndsay Faye).  I'm a huge fan of this author, but she has a very unique style and even I had a little trouble getting into the rhythm of the book.   It's the 1920's and Alice James is fleeing Harlem and the mob with a bullet in her side.  She boards a train for the west coast and is befriended by a black porter, who takes her to the all black Paragon Hotel in Portland Oregon to see a doctor he knows. 

A little known fact (at least by me) is that in the 1920's Portland had the biggest KKK organization west of the Mississippi.  At one time their state charter made it illegal for blacks to live in or work in the entire state of Oregon.  Each chapter stars with news clippings to substantiate the author's extensive research into the era. 

Both the Harlem events and the Portland events provide a gripping story.  Ms Faye has a gift for dialogue that is witty, colorful and quirky (lots of slang of the time).  Some people thought it was distracting.  I felt it was authentic.  This is my favorite book of 2019 so far.   I know it will not be for everyone.

Regular Contributor

I finished the middle grade novel, Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend and really enjoyed it! It reminded me a lot of other cherished books like Harry Potter, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Midnight for Charlie Bone

Now, I am reading The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. This one is about a high-level operative in a secret agency that protects the world from suernatural threats. I am only on chapter 2, but I like it so far!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading Down a Dark Road by Linda Castillo which is another author that I really enjoy, and this book did not disappoint, I am working my way through all of her books..

Next up is Find Me Gone by Sarah Meuleman, the description sounds as if I am in for another good book, will post my final review when I finish!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET Is “When we left Cuba” an ARC? Looking forward to your review as I found the aunt to be a highlight in the first book.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@SWEET Is “When we left Cuba” an ARC? Looking forward to your review as I found the aunt to be a highlight in the first book.

@Alter Ego, yes it is.  It's coming out 4/9.  I haven't read the first one yet. I won it on a book page group on Facebook.  I hope I don't have to read the 1st one to get an idea of what's going on. I've read a few #2 books in series that read like a stand alone and then there are others that don't. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET Obviously I don’t know, but thinking about the first book, I think you may be good. The first book did foreshadow some events, but you can just be surprised when they come up. I hope this one has less romance than the first.

Thanks for the reminder; just pre-ordered the Audible.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pulled the plug on Find me Gone by Sarah Meuleman I just could not get into it!

Honored Contributor

Finished  I KNOW WHO YOU ARE......Starting TEAR ME APART, by J.T. Ellison!

Anyone read it?

It has very high ratings on Goodreads!

Valued Contributor

THE  NIGHT OLIVIA  FELL, by Christina McDonald,a very human book of how a mother tries to find out how her daughter dies. Amazon says it compares this to BIG LITTLE LIES, which I don’t think is at all accurate. 

Respected Contributor

For all psychological thriller readers; I am not recommending this book.  The ending was like poking a pin in a balloon.  I stuck it out til the end, as a great thriller has an unpredictable & shocking ending.  This one did not.  It will be out 3/26/19.  

8696E99B-670C-4C22-8D92-1C763B714F14.jpeg