Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

@lork wrote:

Just finished "Endagered" by C.J. Box. . . He never disappoints in his Joe Pickett series.  In this novel, Joe is on the trail of the man who beat his daughter and left her for dead.  There's a twisted/evil family who stands in his way, and just when I had it all figured out. . . BOOM. . .I was wrong.  The principal charactors continue to be developed and I can hardly wait for the next instalment in the "Pickett narrative."

@lork  Mr Smoky loves this series by C. J. Box.  The main character is a game warden.  The newest Joe Pickett is called Wolf Pack, and it comes out tomorrow, March 12th. 

Respected Contributor

Now I'm reading The Moth Catcher, the 7th in the Vera Stanhope series.  There is only one more after this.

@dawg lover  I just saw that Ann Cleeves is starting a new series featuring a male detective (The Two Rivers series).  The first one is called The Long Call, coming out Sept 3rd.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the head's up smoky2016.  I have some reading to do to catch up to this latest edition.  (I prefer to read the books in sequence.). I like my heros to be strong, honest, good guys (iie Joe Puckett, Walt Longmire, Cork O'Conner).  I keep trying to get my boys (29, 34,39) to give them a whirl, but so far no takers. . . 

Trusted Contributor

An Impartial Witness by Charles Todd, a Bess Crawford mystery

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22  - Thanks for the info about Ann Cleeves new series.  I never made it past book one in the Vera series.  I think if I saw the tv series, I would enjoy the books more. Maybe I'll test out a 30 day trial of one of the streaming services that has the Vera show.  My local PBS station showed all the Shetland episodes, and that greatly contributed to my enjoying the books, since I could picture the characters and enjoy the scenery.

New Contributor

I have been reading a lot of different books on psychology lately. They make me look at the world differently, think and reconsider my attitude to everything. Advise me, please, something new from this subject. Man Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Hounded by David Rosenfelt, and as I expected I enjoyed it, a murder/who done it book, this one I did not figure out even after the bad person was revealed I found it surprising, fast read too.

Not sure what is next as always I have a pile to choose from, as always when I choose and finish will post my review!

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 , it is so long since I read In the Woods, I can’t remember the detail but I do remember that it left me hanging.

I found her latest one, The Witch Elm, too long.  The story was ok but it was just too long.  I generally like her books.  I find people have different reactions to her books.  A bit like Louise Penny.  Some love them, some don’t. LM

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to what will end up being my favorite Audible book of the year - Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I’m sure to say Audible, because I have no idea how it would “read” on paper.

It’s the story of a rock band that created one of the biggest albums in the late 70’s and then broke up. The usual cliches - sex, drugs and rock and roll. But, it’s told in a “Behind the Music”, “Biography” interview style where one member would say something and then a corroborating or differing story would then be shared or picked up separately  by another member. A book of recollections that I know many people would hate the format of - 10 plus narrators.  But it just worked so well IMO on Audible.  The author was influenced/inspired by Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. A great cast, headed by Jennifer Beals as Daisy.

Reese Witherspoon’s book club pick that I am now impatiently waiting for the series to debut on Amazon. (Long wait - not even in production!)

Even though it got a mediocre review, next Audible will be The Stranger Diaries. I was a little disappointed because I thought I had another pre-order coming due today and I would have started that first.  But, I guess I’ll just have to wait to return to Australia until after my trip to Sussex.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego , did the audible include any music?  Can they do that?  Would make it very interesting.

Reminds me of the show Muscle Shoals which I loved and somewhat of Twenty Feet From Stardom, both shows chronicling the music industry and the making of music at a recording studio in Muscle Shoals, Alabama and the second show about backup singers trying to go solo.  Both fantastic stories!  LM