Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

@Judaline  I did read that the book you liked, The Likeness, was probably the best in this series.  I might read that one.  And you're right about the main character.  He gets more and more unlikeable as the book goes on. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Right now I am reading a cozy mystery series that has recipes.  Easy reading for sure.  I just finished Crime Chowder by HIllary Avis., which had five recipes at the end of the book.  The recipes look really good and the book was ok.  I am now reading her second book, Rest in Split Peas, and I am looking forward to seeing what recipes will be at the end.

The book is about two roommates who met in culinary school.  One is a chef at a local restaurant and the other is trying to start her own business.  The stories are decent, but I am in it for the recipes.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Santa's On His way by Lisa Jackson, I know Christmas is over but I could read Christmas all year, every day.  This book has short stories centering around the Christmas season but they are not your average Christmas stories, but I enjoyed each of them, fast read too!

Next up Hounded by David Rosentelt an  Andy Carpenter Mystery, I have read a couple of Andy Carpenter books and have enjoyed them, and I am looking forward to this one as well, will post my final review when I finish it.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I have not read Tear Me Apart by J.T., Ellison but after reading your post,, I requested it.

Regular Contributor

The Gown by Jennifer Robson.  The story revolved around two women who did embroidery for the designer on Queen Elizabeth's wedding gown's friendship ....both of whom had secrets in their lives and the grand daughter who unraveled them.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

For all psychological thriller readers; I am not recommending this book.  The ending was like poking a pin in a balloon.  I stuck it out til the end, as a great thriller has an unpredictable & shocking ending.  This one did not.  It will be out 3/26/19.  

8696E99B-670C-4C22-8D92-1C763B714F14.jpeg

Thanks for the review. It was on my To be read list, but will remove it....Some books just don't live up to the hype.....

Esteemed Contributor

Back to classics. I'm reading the Kindle version of The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. It's translated from the middle English and written in rythmic prose: very easy to follow.

On a pilgrimage to Canterbury, the travellers from all walks of life tell stories. There's chivalry, romance, comedy, adventure, mistaken identity, etc. I read The Canterbury Tales in high school, and thought it was strange. This time I'm enjoying it much more: maybe it has to do with the type of translation or that I think things differently now.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Light Over London, by Julia Kelly;

Never Tell, by Lisa Gardner.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I am finishing up Becoming by Michelle Obama.

Super Contributor

Just finished "Endagered" by C.J. Box. . . He never disappoints in his Joe Pickett series.  In this novel, Joe is on the trail of the man who beat his daughter and left her for dead.  There's a twisted/evil family who stands in his way, and just when I had it all figured out. . . BOOM. . .I was wrong.  The principal charactors continue to be developed and I can hardly wait for the next instalment in the "Pickett narrative."