Trusted Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

@smoky22  and @AlterEgo - I finished "THE STRANGER DIARIES" by Elly Griffiths and have mixed feelings about it.  I guess I would say that it was uneven.  Some parts were very good (beginning) and others were ploddingly slow (middle).  Also, the story was told by three different narrators (a device that I don't like), plus there were excerpts of a short story woven in, so there was a lot to keep track of.  I liked the character of the detective in the book, and wonder if we will see more of her in the future.  So to sum it all up, I would say it was good, not great and get it from the library, rather than buying it.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover   Do you read the Long Paw of the Law books? lol I haven't read any but saw one at the library and the name broke me up!

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover Thanks for your review. I guess I was hoping for it to be something more than it is.  Is marketed as a “gothic”. Is on my Audible and maybe the tone will be better spoken.

Am currently listening to Daisy Jones and the Six and the Audible is fantastic but I can’t imagine how it would read as it cuts back and forth between narrators.

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego  - For "The Stranger Diaries", the narrator would have to do an adult woman, another adult woman with an Indian accent, a teenage girl, and a man from Victorian times.  Very challenging!

@Judaline What a cute series name!  I assume you are referring to the books by Laurie Anne Marie?  I noticed that Diane Kelly has a single book out with the same name as well.  No, I have not read either of those authors.  I ordered "The Forgotten Girls" from my library, based on your recommendation, and look forward to reading it.

Valued Contributor

The Lost Girls of Paris is an emotional story of friendship and betrayal during the second world war, inspired by true event - from the international bestseller Pam Jenoff.1940s With the world at war, Eleanor Trigg leads a mysterious ring of female secret agents in London.

I started this book yesterday.  I had a little trouble keeping the characters separated at first, but everything fell into line.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished Worst Case by James Patterson and I am currently reading Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb.

Respected Contributor

I read In The Woods (Tana French).  Aside from being way too long, it has one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever come across.  In real life many things are left unanswered, in a book, I usually want some kind of resolution.  This book has not one, but two things left dangling.

Spoiler
There was a hint of something supernatural about the woods.  If she was implying that two kids were spirited away by something supernatural, I found that ridiculous.  If she was implying that Adam/Rob killed his two friends, I found that equally ridiculous.     

And I've read that the main character does not appear in any subsequent books.  I thought if you're doing a series you have the same characters throughout.  I guess this book just wasn't for me. Sorry I spent my time on it.  Are the next books any better? 

Respected Contributor

Now I'm reading A Study in Scarlet Women (Sherry Thomas), the first in the Lady Sherlock series.  When suspicion falls on her family for a trio of unexpected deaths, Charlotte Holmes works under the assumed name of Sherlock Holmes to find the culprits.  I'm really enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I read In The Woods (Tana French).  Aside from being way too long, it has one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever come across.  In real life many things are left unanswered, in a book, I usually want some kind of resolution.  This book has not one, but two things left dangling.

Spoiler
There was a hint of something supernatural about the woods.  If she was implying that two kids were spirited away by something supernatural, I found that ridiculous.  If she was implying that Adam/Rob killed his two friends, I found that equally ridiculous.     

And I've read that the main character does not appear in any subsequent books.  I thought if you're doing a series you have the same characters throughout.  I guess this book just wasn't for me. Sorry I spent my time on it.  Are the next books any better? 

Thanks for this. I've been thinking of PTBM for a while, now. Don't like either of the lead characters, the pages on my soft cover book are so long-no breaks for paragraphs or anything, long chapters. I read your spoiler and was so glad I did. Not something I want to know after climbing thru all the hard to read pages. I'm outta there-BTW, my book says those two are in one more of her books. I read one of her books I liked-The Likeness, and one that was so repetitive it made me antsy, so my basic instinct when I got this book was, 'no, just no' but I read it partially anyway. No more Tana French for me. Again, thank you. 

Respected Contributor

Could not finish Chanel Cleeton's When We Left Cuba.  Maybe I had to read the first one to get an idea of what was going on?  I'm not into politics and the CIA and that's what one of the daughters in this family was doing when they left Cuba for FL. 

Onto Sarah Blake's The Guest Book, that is coming out in May. I tried to read her first one The Postmistress and couldn't finish that one.