Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

Intercepted, by Alexa Martin;

Forget You Know Me, by Jessica Strawser.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@icezeus Finished An Unwanted Guest! I am now starting I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, by Alice Feeney.......

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

I read "AUSCHWITZ LULLABY" by Mario Escobar, attracted by the unusual title.  It was pretty good, but not exceptional.  In many ways, it was the typical Holocaust story, with the difference that the victims were of Romany (gypsy) descent.  It is based on the true story of a German woman who married a Romany man and had five children with him.  When they were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz, she chose to come with her family. Because of her "pure" bloodline, she was permitted to run a school for the children Dr. Mengele experimented on.  I was nervous that there would be a lot about these experiments, but it was really only mentioned once.  It was interesting to see the Holocaust from the view of a different type of victim.

Then, I read "CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE MURDER" by Joanne Fluke and "DEAD OF WINTER" by Annelise Ryan.  Both were okay, just the latest in their respective cozy mystery series.

Next up is "THE LAST MRS. PARRISH" by Liv Constantine, which several people have recommended here.

I have 5 new books in transit to me from the library, for next week:

"BROKEN BONE CHINA" by Laura Childs

"SILENT NIGHT" by Danielle Steel

"THE STRANGER DIARIES" by Elly Griffiths

"UNTO US A SON IS GIVEN" by Donna Leon

"THE FIRST LADY" by James Patterson

I will be doing lots of reading next week!

@dawg lover . I loved the Last Mrs. Parrish!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished The Charm Bracelet by Viola Shipman, loved it from beginning to end, it tugged at my heartstrings through out the whole book, definitely a feel good book, highly recommend it!

Next up An unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena, I do enjoy her books so looking forward to this book!

@CareBears I just finished An Unwanted Guest!!!!!!!I think you will like it!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover  I'm interested in your review of The Stranger Diaries too.  I'm on waitlist for it.  I thought it didn't officially come out until March 4th.   

@smoky22  - Yes, it's "in transit" to me, which really means they are holding it until March 5th, when they are allowed to release it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I just finished An unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena, and I did enjoy it.  It kept my interest and IMO it was a fast read, good book!

Not sure what is up next, but I will post my review when I finish!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@icezeus Finished An Unwanted Guest! I am now starting I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, by Alice Feeney.......

@CANDLEQUEEN @CareBears 

I was wondering if you had finished it. I did not care much for the ending. I felt very unsatisfied,  too many issues were left open. When I finish a book I like closure. 

Respected Contributor

The House Girl by Tara Conklin is my latest read.  I thought it was well done, but I have a question for our avid readers.  In this book and in many I have read recently, the author uses a device that switches narrators and switches back and forth between centuries or decades.  I'm starting to not like that device.  Maybe I'm feeling that way because I'm getting the idea that this style is over-used.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Frequent Contributor

Hi LoriLori. Thanks for the information about the movies. That should be something. I would love to see the play as well especially with the actor on the spectrum since I work in mental health.
As for the list: I didn’t pick it. I’ve read most of the PBS list already. But I go along for group harmony and read what I want on my own.
And hubby is starting to feel better. Thanks
Have a good week
Respected Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

The House Girl by Tara Conklin is my latest read.  I thought it was well done, but I have a question for our avid readers.  In this book and in many I have read recently, the author uses a device that switches narrators and switches back and forth between centuries or decades.  I'm starting to not like that device.  Maybe I'm feeling that way because I'm getting the idea that this style is over-used.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

@maximillian  I absoluely agree with you and it hardly ever works for me.  Usually one part of the narrative is so much more interesting than the alternate one and I end up skimming the one that I don't like as much.  I would even call it lazy writing in some cases.  The author doesn't have enough of a book with just one of the narratives.