Trusted Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

[ Edited ]

I read "AUSCHWITZ LULLABY" by Mario Escobar, attracted by the unusual title.  It was pretty good, but not exceptional.  In many ways, it was the typical Holocaust story, with the difference that the victims were of Romany (gypsy) descent.  It is based on the true story of a German woman who married a Romany man and had five children with him.  When they were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz, she chose to come with her family. Because of her "pure" bloodline, she was permitted to run a school for the children Dr. Mengele experimented on.  I was nervous that there would be a lot about these experiments, but it was really only mentioned once.  It was interesting to see the Holocaust from the view of a different type of victim.

Then, I read "CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE MURDER" by Joanne Fluke and "DEAD OF WINTER" by Annelise Ryan.  Both were okay, just the latest in their respective cozy mystery series.

Next up is "THE LAST MRS. PARRISH" by Liv Constantine, which several people have recommended here.

I have 5 new books in transit to me from the library, for next week:

"BROKEN BONE CHINA" by Laura Childs

"SILENT NIGHT" by Danielle Steel

"THE STRANGER DIARIES" by Elly Griffiths

"UNTO US A SON IS GIVEN" by Donna Leon

"THE FIRST LADY" by James Patterson

I will be doing lots of reading next week!

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover I look forward to your comments on The Stranger Diaries as that is one of my preorders. Will take a while for me to get to it/finish as it’s an Audible.

Super Contributor

ROGUE LAWYER  John Grisham

I just recently started getting into John Grisham books.

Trusted Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

i read somewhere that it was the anniversary of the book The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, so i read it. it was pretty sad. now i’m reading A Wrinkle In Time. beats me why i never read it when i was a child, but i sure am enjoying it now! 

@freakygirl 

I didn't read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas but did see the movie a few years ago and it sure has stuck with me.  That ending was heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

It was with great reluctance that I turned the last page of The Lost Man by Jane Harper.  It is my favorite of her three and will definitely be on my Best of 2019 list.

I slow-walked it to the end because I love the book so much I didn't want it to be over.  She's only now starting her fourth so it will be a long wait.  She's also writing the screenplay for The Dry.

Honored Contributor

And now it's another book I would never have picked up if not for this forum.  I don't care how big a bestseller it is (and it is!), it's not something I would get, but so many of you love it so much I couldn't ignore it:

Where the Crawdads Sing

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Charm Bracelet by Viola Shipman, loved it from beginning to end, it tugged at my heartstrings through out the whole book, definitely a feel good book, highly recommend it!

Next up An unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena, I do enjoy her books so looking forward to this book!

Trusted Contributor

@itsmetoo @no! i didn’t even know there was a movie version. i like how the author changed a couple of names, but yet you knew exactly what or who she was alluding to. and then a very subtle and yet shocking ending. wow. 

Frequent Contributor

Greetings readers. Stuck at home tonight with a sick hubby. I’m reading Where’d you go Bernadette. And for my book group we’re plowing through the PBS top 100 books that none of us have read. For March it’s the Curious incident of the dog in the night time. Happy reading 📖
Respected Contributor

@tansy 

Good luck with The Outsider.  I stuck with it when it got 'out there' and finished it but then I remembered why I stopped reading his books decades ago.   Wish I had those hours back.