Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? MARCH 2019

@teganslaw 

I read the book in High School. All that I really remeber was the ending for some reason.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@teganslaw 

I read the book in High School. All that I really remeber was the ending for some reason.

Good reason!!

Honored Contributor

I just started Stephen King's THE OUTSIDER.  Husband seems intrigued with the story as he has stuck with it.  

I finished LONGBOURN by Jo Baker yesterday.  

Next up are THE LOST MAN by Jane Harper and THREE DAYS MISSING by Kimberly Belle.

Honored Contributor

I'm just finishing up The Lucifer Ego:  The Sequel to Toward the Gleam.  I'm at the 80% mark on Kindle.  Great story - I hope we find out what was in the manuscript!

I downloaded a bunch of stuff based on recommendations from friends.  Don't know what I'm doing next.  I've got about a dozen new ones to choose from.  

Usually, I have one fiction and a couple of non-fictions going at the same time.  Easy to keep track of .... all in one place and Kindle remembers where I left off!

Respected Contributor

I finished The Closers (Harry Bosch).  Excellent.

Portuguese Irregular Verbs (Alexander McCall Smith).  Very cute!

Now I'm reading The Paragon Hotel (Lyndsay Faye).

Trusted Contributor

happy reading everyone!

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks.

The last 3 books I read are:

The Only Woman in the Room - story about the actress Hedy Lamarr.  What a life she had.  She was an actress in Vienna before WW2, married a wealthy creep and escaped to America.  She was ahead of her time.

Previous to that, I read The Lost Girls of Paris.  I didn't love it, but I had to finish it to find out what happened to these poor women who were undercover radio operators, again in WW2.  I would recommend it though.

I also read An Anonymous Girl, not sure if I had posted previously about it.  A little strange.  The authors wrote The Wife Between Us and they were both on that strange wavelength.  

I read the first 5 chapters of The Silent Patient and returned it today.  I may take it out again at a later time.

Tonight I will begin a book that I'm suppose to review for Good Reads:  The Last Collection - a novel about Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli in 1938.  You can read my review on Good Reads!

I also have the Tatooist of Auschwitz, sitting on my nighttable, which I'm looking forward to starting.

Suppose to be crappy weather this weekend, so I may get a lot of reading done.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This week I finished Dark Sacred Night, by Michael Connelly. I really enjoyed this book and  I hope that the author pairs these two detectives Bosch/Ballard together again in future books.

The second book that I finished earlier today was The Coffin Dancer, A Lincoln Rhyme Novel, by Jeffery Deaver. Thanks to a fellow poster for recommending this author. I really enjoyed the book and plan on reading other books in the series. 

I am not sure what I will be starting tomorrow. I have a handful of books home from the Library, but I am leaning towards Worst Case, by James Patterson.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken.  This is a sprawling multigenerational novel that begins with a body found in the cemetery.  But the body is alive and above ground. A mysterious woman comes from nowhere and settles in a Massachusetts town and opens a candlepin bowling alley and the story goes from there. Quirky and different and maybe that’s why I’m leaning towards liking it.  But it was also kind of rambling (to me) and after the (spectacular) death of the matriarch (not a spoiler; I said it was “sprawling”), the other characters just don’t seem quite as large. In fact, many were unlikable. And one of the big reveals had me scratching my head.  I think I talked myself into an explanation, but I don’t think it was ever given in the story.

it did remind me of seeing bowling on weekend TV and made me wonder if they ever still show it?  I guess with so many channels, it must be there somewhere...

I have 3 books on pre-order (had 4, but decided to cancel one at this time.) Next Audible will be the buzzy Daisy Jones and the Six. On many best books of March lists and already optioned to be a new Amazon series produced by Reese Witherspoon.  It’s also her March book club pick (but I ordered it based on the Library Reads list.) Really looking forward to it! Happy March reading 📖 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy , I loved The Outsider.  If you haven’t read it yet, add Duma Key to your list.   LM

Honored Contributor

I'm not exactly a deep thinker but these are what I read last month:

GRIST MILL ROAD by Christopher Yates - childhood chums and a despicable crime.

SAY NO MOOR by Maddy Hunter - Young tour guide and her senior citizen group run across a murder.

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER by Julia Spencer Fleming - female priest of an Episcopal church finds an infant left at the door.

RASPBERRY DANISH MURDER by Joanne Fluke - from a long cozy mystery series about a MN bakery shop owner. Hallmark has made some of these books into movies under the name Murder, She Baked.