Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

@NEvans2 wrote:

@smoky22 I love the Harry Bosch series. I have been reading them since the first one came out years ago. I just finished the latest Bosch/Ballard one. They're pretty good too. I also started watching Bosch on Prime. The TV version is also really good. I've always liked the actor who plays Harry. (Titus Welliver, I think that's how you spell his last name) So , if you have Prime, give the series a shot. I'm on episode 5.

@NEvans2  I absolutely love Harry Bosch and will be sorry when I read the last book in the series (which will be next).  I'm hoping I like Bosch/Ballard.  I have Amazon Prime but never watch their shows.  Maybe I'll make an exception for this when I finish the series.  

Respected Contributor

I returned The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo.  It's sort of a sprawling family saga about three very different daughters.  I read 3 chapters and decided it wasn't for me.

But I am reading This Tender Land (William Kent Krueger) and it's terrific so far.   It's not what I expected and has pleasantly surprised me.  I'm about 40 % in.

Esteemed Contributor

BLOWOUT by Rachel Maddow (5 Stars . . . actually 10+ Stars)

Riveting, shocking, frightening!  All told only in Rachel Maddow's uncanny way of threading all the facts into her way of making so much sense. I've long been a fan of her show and thought I knew about the oil and Russian influence of the 2016 election, but there is so much more in this book! It took a while to get into the story; then WOW! Powerful stuff. Loved this book. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid.  I read one review that called it "subtle" and I think that's a good word for it. It's kind of a small story that seems to just move seamlessly along. Really liked Emira throughout, especially how my narrator portrayed her. A great first read for the year.

I'm returning to the fairytale hinterlands in the YA sequel to Hazel Wood.  I don't know why - I don't even really remember the original book.  I guess I just can't say no to sequels.  It's not bad, but I apparently forgot that the original was another story about stories and doors.  That's sooo 2019!

Esteemed Contributor

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. This is a strange, disturbing, mesmerizing, wonderfully written book. 

Mary Katherine (Merricat) Blackwood is the narrator. She lives with her older sister, Constance, and Uncle Julian. They are the only survivors: the rest of the family was poisoned by arsenic several years ago. Constance was accused of murder since she was the cook when the family was poisoned, but was acquitted. 

The Blackwood family is shunned by the villagers, and live in their own world. Jackson does a great job of revealing the thoughts and personalities of the characters. The Blackwoods are some people readers won't soon forget.

I like this book better than The Haunting of Hill House,, and that one was also interesting.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

It "seams" I am in a bit of a rut.

Reading The Dressmaker's Gift (Fiona Valpy} after completingThe Garment Maker's Daughter (Hillary Stern)

Next up is The Irishman: Frank Sheeran's True Crime Story

(Daniel Brand)

Trusted Contributor

Christmas in HarmonyHarbor by Debbie Mason

TheAdults by Caroline Hulse

Zanna's Gift by Orson Scott Card.

I recommend the last one for a feel good Christmas time read although it's not a full on Christmas story but more a story about love, loss and family. It's more of a novella than a real book at only 144 pages. It's been around for awhile but just came on my radar recently. And of course the author also wrote the famous book Ender's Game-which I have never read but just might have to now.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Shelving Doubts by Barbara Hinske, I have read all of her books and really enjoy them!  She is a very gracious author and commits to her fans and welcomes their feedback!  Her books always touch my heart, but she adds a mystery to her books that keeps your heart racing to read faster to find out what happens!

Next up Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock, will post when I finish!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Shelving Doubts by Barbar Hinske, I have read all of her books and really enjoy them!  She is a very gracious author and commits to her fans and welcomes their feedback!  Her books always touch my heart, but she adds a mystery to her books that keeps your heart racing to read faster to find out what happens!

Next up Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock, will post when I finish!

@CareBears Happy New Year! How did you like I, Michael Bennett??

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I enjoyed it, I like the Michel Bennet series!