Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

@LoriLori  I loved Olive K and thought HBO did a great adaptation. Angels in America was excellent. However, I didn't like Big Little Lies. I think it trivialized violence against women with the wife seeming to enjoy some of the brutality. She didn't protect her children either. The passive therapist should've been telling the wife she was required to report what was happening. Minimizing violence against women like this to make $ was not for me

Esteemed Contributor

The Body by Bill Bryson (5 Stars)

Excellent book! Packed with information, statistics, history and Bryson's humor which keeps his books so entertaining! He is an author I would enjoy as a friend. Conversations would always be enriching and he would be sharing his expertise (which is well researched) about various places, the planet or a variety of subjects. One of my favorite authors.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I seem to be striking out lately.  Can't find the book that makes me want to stay up all night reading.

I started reading The Dutch House by Ann Patchett.  Waited a long time for it at the library and couldn't wait to get my hands on it.  Read about 75 pages and I forced myself to read those 75 pages.  I was so disappointed.  Maybe I'll try again another time.

Now I'm reading The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes.  I've read most of her books.  Read Me Before You about 3 times and cried like a baby each time.  The Giver of Stars ... again, almost forcing myself to read it.  I'm a little disappointed in myself!Woman Frustrated

Help!

Trusted Contributor

@SWEET, I love psychological thrillers too and I'm going to request both of these books from my library! I read The Night Olivia Fell a while ago and I liked it(I think I remember liking it)! LOL!!! Thanks for the reviews!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hooked on books wrote:
@SWEET, I love psychological thrillers too and I'm going to request both of these books from my library! I read The Night Olivia Fell a while ago and I liked it(I think I remember liking it)! LOL!!! Thanks for the reviews!!

@hooked on books  Enjoy if you get them.  I have a whole bunch more that I read.  I'm either winning them or publishers send them to me.  I usually don't like read too many (especially in a row) though.  LOL.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@roeroe1005 

Like you, sometimes I am disappointed in a book once I start it.  Sometimes I think my expectations are too high due to a lot of publicity or even a friend's hearty recommendation.  Then sometimes I am just not in the mood to read a certain type of book or even a certain author.  Sometimes I will put a book aside then go back to it a few weeks or months later.  The good news is, there are a lot of books out there to pick from!  Keep reading!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Turn For The Bad, book 3 of the Maura Donovan County Cork Mystery series by Sheila Connolly.  Another good book, but this was a little unbelievable.  This book dealt with black market alcohol, cigarettes, drug smuggling, and the coast of Ireland.  There was much action, just not in the realm of possibility for most people.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

The Body by Bill Bryson (5 Stars)

Excellent book! Packed with information, statistics, history and Bryson's humor which keeps his books so entertaining! He is an author I would enjoy as a friend. Conversations would always be enriching and he would be sharing his expertise (which is well researched) about various places, the planet or a variety of subjects. One of my favorite authors.

@BirkiLady  I've put this on my list.  Thanks for the review.

Respected Contributor

I read House of Salt and Sorrow by Erin A. Craig.  I actually read half of it and skimmed the rest.  I'm working my way through some of the books on the Goodreads Best Of 2019 list.  Apparently this is sort of a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses, of which I am ignorant.  It was on the list of Best Debut books and I thought it read like a YA book (it was not in that category, though).  

I now have This Tender Land (William Kent Krueger) and The Most Fun We Ever Had (Claire Lombardo) on my kindle.  They were both in the Goodreads Fiction category.

Trusted Contributor

@SWEET, I know, sometimes these books can get a little grim when you read one after the other! I read other genres as well but I keep coming back to these thrillers, LOL!!