Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

@GenXmuse wrote:

I just finished Never Tell: A D. D. Warren detective novel by Lisa Gardner. Though I like her books, I have to pace myself because the imagery can be quite graphic and disturbing. 

Currently reading: The Perfect Family by Shalini Boland and I'm enjoying how the story is unfolding so far. 

Next up: The Red Hunter by Lisa Unger

Has anyone read any of these books?

Happiest of reading and a wonderful book filled 2020!

@GenXmuse  I’m a Lisa Gardner fan. Haven’t been to the library in awhile. I’ll have to get this one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Wedding Guest by Jonathan Kellerman.  Good, not great.  I don't know if it is just me but I find this series losing it's lustre.  It was one of my favourites.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong (5 Stars)

Exquisite!! If you enjoy poetry, this book may be an enjoyable read. It not, don't bother. The pose if beautiful, honest and raw, raw, raw.

Difficult to believe this is a novel; the truth spills from the pages as the author seems to recall his own events of memories of life in a letter to his Vietnamese mother who has never learned to read English.

Touching, painful, horrifying, loving, fun, hard work, sexuality, substance abuse, death, and more as Little Dog shares his thoughts and memories of  life from early childhood in Vietnam through his post college life in US. Note: Parts are difficult to read. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

I just finished "The Institute" by Stephen King.  Whew!  Over 500 pages!  I bought it after reading a review by a poster here.  I'm glad I did.  I thought it was the best book SK has written.  My previous favorite was 'The Stand."

Esteemed Contributor

@hooked on books  Thanks for the heads up, I am going to requst this one too, hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

Esteemed Contributor

@appm , it looks like we've been book twins recently. I, also, just finished reading "The Institute" by Stephen King. I feel like it's probably been described here previously, but for those who don't know, it's about children with special talents--telekinesis and telepathy--who are kidnapped and taken to special places called The Institute where the sinister staff extracts and uses their powers. Yes, it was a long one, but at the end I found myself wishing it wasn't over. I really liked it.

Just started reading "Summer of '69" by Elin Hilderbrand.  As the title suggests it's set in at the end of the 60s and follows a family of four siblings who spend their summers in Nantucket. I'm only about 1/4 of the way through and although it's totally different than my last book I'm enjoying it as well. Sometimes it's nice to follow something thought provoking with something a little lighter. 

Esteemed Contributor

This morning I started reading No Judgements by Meg Cabot, what a charming book so far!  I have completely fallen in love with the main characters cat, I should be able to finish up tomorrow, it is a quick, enjoyable read!

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I'm reading one of my favorite authors to start the new year, Michael Connelly.  The book is The Wrong Side of Goodbye.  I'm almost to the end of the Bosch series but I have the Bosch/Ballard series to look forward to. 

@smoky22 

I love the Bosch/Ballard series. I just finished "The Night Fire" a few weeks ago which was the third book in that series. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "The Defense" by Steve Cavanagh.  I really enjoyed this book, it's about a lawyer who is a former con-artist, who has to defend the head of the Russian Mafia out of New York in court. They have kidnapped his young daughter and will kill her if he does not smuggle in a bomb to take out the prosecutions star witness.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

I'm reading one of my favorite authors to start the new year, Michael Connelly.  The book is The Wrong Side of Goodbye.  I'm almost to the end of the Bosch series but I have the Bosch/Ballard series to look forward to. 

@smoky22 

I love the Bosch/Ballard series. I just finished "The Night Fire" a few weeks ago which was the third book in that series. 

I finished The Wrong Side of Goodbye and it was the absolute best in the series for me. It had everything, two great plots and a logical resolution.  It even made me tear up a bit at the end.  Who would think a Harry Bosch book could do that.

@icezeus thanks for the positive recommendation on his new series.  It's always good to know someone else likes it.