Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

I just finished A Black Place and a White Place, book 7 of the Wisteria Tearoom Mysteries, by Patrice Greenwood.  

Most of the book takes place at the Ghost Ranch, with emphasis on the works of Georgia O'Keefe.  Even though this normally would be a favorite subject for me, I found this book unsettling.  This is a good series, but this book is a least favorite, and I am glad that it is finished.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

I am reading MY NAME IS RESOLUTE by Nancy E Turner.  It's a story about a young girl stolen from her home in Jamaica by pirates along with her brother and sister.  After being sold into servitude she eventually finds herself free in New England before the Revolutionary War.  I had already read a couple of books by this same author and enjoyed them.

I find that I am enjoying historical fiction lately but there seem to be so many about wartime.  Not really looking for those although I have a couple of them waiting for me on my Kindle.

Our local book club will be reading HAVE YOU SEEN LUIS VELEZ? by Catherine Ryan Hyde this month.  I'll start it in a couple of weeks.  Can't finish it too far ahead so I'll be able to remember enough about it to discuss.  lol

Respected Contributor

Just finished This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger.  I did like this book, but I wasn't really fond of the main character.  I know he was young, but he really did seem to make a lot of bad decisions.

I also just finished Lock Every Door by Riley Sager.  This is her third novel and I really like her.  I've read all three of her books.  If you like mysteries, I reccomend her books.  They are all stand alone novels so you can start with any of them.

Just started Eggshells by Caitriona Lally.  The jury is still out on this book.  To say the main character is strange is an understatement. 

Honored Contributor

@pachutabelle  I read her books, too. Enemy Women was my favorite. Is this a new book, My Name is Resolute?

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover Did you read Blind Search yet? I'm still reading it. I liked it better the more I read but right now it's lagging.

My Margaret Mizushima book is in. Can't wait to get it.

Honored Contributor

The Revisioners, by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton;                                        

If Only I Could Tell You, by Hannah Beckerman.

Both books outstanding and excellent reads.  So disappointed my library as no other works for either of these authors.  Will keep on the look out for more of their work.

New Day, New Year, Decade New worlds to conquer.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@dawg loverDid you read Blind Search yet? I'm still reading it. I liked it better the more I read but right now it's lagging.

My Margaret Mizushima book is in. Can't wait to get it.

@Judaline - It's at the library waiting for me; I'll probably get it today, if it stops raining. Glad to hear it gets better as it goes along.

I have had very few library books come in for me in December, so I spent most of the month reading the Inspector Banks mystery series by Peter Robinson.  I'm on Book 18, but I need to hurry, as the newest book, #26, comes out in mid-January, and I hope to be caught up by then and ready to read it.  They are very good books (but no dog in them!).

Regular Contributor

@Judaline My Name Is Resolute was published in 2015 so it may be her latest.  Have you read These Is My Words?  That's the first of hers that I read. I have Enemy Women on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it yet.  It is by Paulette Jiles, another author I enjoy.  Have you read her News Of The World?   I see it's being made into a film starring Tom Hanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Lost You by Haylen Beck I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, GREAT book!

Not sure what is up next but I will post when I finish!

Valued Contributor

@dawg lover  I love Peter Robinson, have read all his books and yes you are right they have no  dog in them, but I can't wait for his next. I am currently reading FINAl  GIRLS, by Riley Safer. Very good, recommended by a lot of readers here.