Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

The Woman He Loved, by Ralph G. Martin.  Another Edward and Wallis book but this one written in 1974 instead of 2018 and like the previous one I wrote.  Wallis had a bit of input in this one so may be a bit, well she had a tendency to not remember things clearly or accurately.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Catching Christmas by Terri  Blackstock what a book, I loved it!  I cried the ugly cry throughout the book, it was gut wrenching but so heartfelt also!  I had read it before but it is a book well worth reading again!

Next up A Mrs. Miracle Christmas by Debbie Maccomber will post my review when I finish!

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline , did you see the character who played Gamache?  What did you think?  I thought he was physically too small.  I thought the same thing about Bosch.  Too short.  Isn't that weird?  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Judaline , did you see the character who played Gamache?  What did you think?  I thought he was physically too small.  I thought the same thing about Bosch.  Too short.  Isn't that weird?  LM

No, unfortunately I don't get either one of those shows. Do you watch it on your computer maybe because I don't find it listed ANYWHERE. I guess I could google them. I remember seeing a pic of the Bosch character but no way could I tell if he was tall enough to fill the bill! The face looked like he could be Bosch but not sure from just a photo.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Catching Christmas by Terri  Blackstock what a book, I loved it!  I cried the ugly cry throughout the book, it was gut wrenching but so heartfelt also!  I had read it before but it is a book well worth reading again!

Next up A Mrs. Miracle Christmas by Debbie Maccomber will post my review when I finish!

Oh, I know!!! I LOVED that little book. I intend to read it every few years at Christmas time. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tonight I finished The Lost Man by Jane Harper it's a mystery. This is my third book by this Author and she did not disappoint. They are all set in the Australian Outback, which I will be traveling to for vacation in three months, and through her words I feel as if I am actually in the country.  

This is only my second book that I have read for the year, but I know that I will rate this as one of my best reads of 2020.

Small excerpt from Goodreads:

They are at the stockman’s grave, a landmark so old, no one can remember who is buried there. But today, the scant shadow it casts was the last hope for their middle brother, Cameron. The Bright family’s quiet existence is thrown into grief and anguish. Something had been troubling Cameron. Did he lose hope and walk to his death? Because if he didn’t, the isolation of the outback leaves few suspects…

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus , I enjoyed The Lost Man as well.

I noted your upcoming trip to Australia.  The fires are devastating.  I am assuming travel is safe or you wouldn't be going.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@icezeus , I enjoyed The Lost Man as well.

I noted your upcoming trip to Australia.  The fires are devastating.  I am assuming travel is safe or you wouldn't be going.  LM

@Lilysmom 

The first week that I am there I will be staying in a VRBO in Melbourne, in contact with the owner, and so far they are saying that it's smokey but that it's ok, that the city has not been affected. I have not contacted the timeshare place where I will be staying my second week, which is located on The Gold Coast. I will wait until March, and see how things are. prayerfully and hopefully they will be a lot better as far as the fires being out or under control. 

I have saved for years for this "bucket list" trip, so last week I went ahead and insured it, so that if something happens I will not be out of the thousands that I have put into this trip.

I can't even look at the pictures, those homes and the poor animals. I just can't. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus  You are smart to insure the trip.  Tuck a couple of masks into your suitcase.  My brother lives in Kamloops, British Columbia and they receive evacuees from neighboring communities when their fires get dangerous.  Air quality at times is really poor.  If you have any breathing issues at all perhaps an inhaler would help just in case.  Ask your doctor.  

Nova Scotia (my home) has and is sending first responders to help battle the fires in Australia.

Praying you have a safe trip.  ❤️LM

Esteemed Contributor

I finished The Fallen by David Baldacci.  I found it much too long.  Too many dead people, lol.  I kept going thinking it would get better.  Goodreads rates it 4.2 stars out of 5.  I would do 3 out of 5.

Next up is Final Girls, Riley Sager.  LM