Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

@CareBears   This sounds really good.  Just ordered it from my library based on your recommendation.  Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

"Oliver Kitteridge," by Elizabeth Strout

"If you need to like the main character of books that you read, you may not like this book. However, if you like to read about character development and the interactions of imperfect people, you may love it.

Olive Kitteridge is not quite a novel and not quite a collection of short stories. It is more like a series of vignettes about people and events in a town in Maine. Some of these vignettes focus on Olive Kitteridge and others barely mention her, but as we read them, we learn more about Olive and how she affects others, particularly family members and how they affect her. We see how some events in her life affected her character. We also see how she changes over time."

Respected Contributor

@alliswell 

I  loved that book and recently read Olive, Again which I enjoyed just as much.

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary.  Tiffy and Leon share an apartment but have never met.  Leon is a night shift worker and lives there during the day.  Tiffy lives there nights and weekends.  They start writing notes to each other about various things like when is garbage day and what leftovers are up for grabs.  They soon become friends and then maybe more.  I really enjoyed this book - interesting characters and story lines. 

Honored Contributor

@pachutabelle wrote:

@Judaline My Name Is Resolute was published in 2015 so it may be her latest.  Have you read These Is My Words?  That's the first of hers that I read. I have Enemy Women on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it yet.  It is by Paulette Jiles, another author I enjoy.  Have you read her News Of The World?   I see it's being made into a film starring Tom Hanks.

OMgosh, Paulette Jiles, of course. Sorry for the mixup. I equate the two for some reason. Loved These is My Words but I can't remember the first one  I read. Sarah's Quilt, The Star Garden. I liked them all.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@dawg loverDid you read Blind Search yet? I'm still reading it. I liked it better the more I read but right now it's lagging.

My Margaret Mizushima book is in. Can't wait to get it.

@Judaline - It's at the library waiting for me; I'll probably get it today, if it stops raining. Glad to hear it gets better as it goes along.

I have had very few library books come in for me in December, so I spent most of the month reading the Inspector Banks mystery series by Peter Robinson.  I'm on Book 18, but I need to hurry, as the newest book, #26, comes out in mid-January, and I hope to be caught up by then and ready to read it.  They are very good books (but no dog in them!).

I watched the Inspector Banks series on PBS- l tried one of the books but wasn't thrilled with it-didn't finish it. I was just thinking about trying again.

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears, Haylen Beck has a previous book out called "Here and Gone". Based on your review of "Lost You" I have requested both of these books from my library! Thanks for posting!!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Buried in a Bog, Book 1 of the County Cork series by Sheila Connolly.  The book is about Maura, a bartender in Boston, who travels to Ireland after the death of her grandmother.  Maura's grandmother wanted her to visit a old friend, and while there, a body is discovered in a bog.  Maura ends of tending bar, meeting many people who are related, and ending up in situations that she had not anticipated.  I really did enjoy this book.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@alliswell   HBO's miniseries of Olive Kitteridge is my favorite adaptation of a book, ever.  I read they'd like to do Olive, Again. 

My second favorite adaptation is HBO's Angels in America.which seemed impossible to adapt and they did a brilliant job.

And Big Little Lies season 1.  Season 2, uh-uh Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I just finished Never Tell: A D. D. Warren detective novel by Lisa Gardner. Though I like her books, I have to pace myself because the imagery can be quite graphic and disturbing. 

Currently reading: The Perfect Family by Shalini Boland and I'm enjoying how the story is unfolding so far. 

Next up: The Red Hunter by Lisa Unger

Has anyone read any of these books?

Happiest of reading and a wonderful book filled 2020!