Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom 

I did not even think about the masks or an inhaler. I have intermittent asthma, so it's not always on my radar. I am adding these two suggestions down so as not to forget.. 

Update** I have a remaining re-fill from the last time that  I had filled my inhaler prescription which was towards the end of 2018. I just ordered it online, so I should receive it in the mail this week. I am hitting myself on the forehead right now about this. 

Trusted Contributor

The Oysterville Sewing Circle by Susan Wiggs

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Mrs Miracle Christmas by Debbie Macomber YES I did the ugly cry again, I have  always enjoyed the Mrs. Miracle stories, and this one did not disappoint!  In several parts of the book I was reminded of celebrating with my parents and the warmth they always brought to us at the holiday. and my heart is full of cherished memories, but also pain over losing them and how much I still miss them, feeling the pain as much as when they were called home!  Before  I  start crying all over again, time to move on!

Next up The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, I requested this book so long ago, I have no recollection of what it is about?  But will post my review when I finish!

Respected Contributor

I finished This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger.  Set during the Great Depression of 1932, it's a story that's a combination of Huckleberry Finn, Oliver Twist and the Odyssey.  I read some reviews that thought it was a little bit farfetched and a little too preachy and it was a little of each.  But I found it such an enjoyable book that none of that bothered me.  For a fairly long book, I didn't want it to end.  So well written. Definitely 5 stars.

Esteemed Contributor

I have found January to be a tough month to find anything to read that would hold my interest.  I have started quite a few books, only to stop reading within a few pages.

Today, I found a quick read, Moon Shell Beach by Nancy Thayer.  Not the typical book that I usually read, but it was ok.  I am not one for romance books, but I do like the beach.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I finished FINAL GIRLS, By Riley  Sager, loved the book! Not for the faint of  heart,great characters.  He has a new book coming in June.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus , wildfires can be a health concern.  Here is some advice ... from British Columbia.

You might want to visit your doctor before you go and ask for a spare inhaler.  Also see if she/he has any additional advice.  Best of luck to you @icezeus .  LM

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines%20and%20Forms/Guidelines%20and%20Manuals/H...

Respected Contributor

Thanks goodness St. Ivo by Joanna Hershon was a fast read since it was a horrible book.  Sorry I entered it as a giveaway on Goodreads since it was a waste.

Onto hopefully a better one -- Little Wonders by Kate Rorick.

Honored Contributor

I've been thoroughly enjoying all of Joanne DeMaio's winter series books.  I just started the last one, Eighteen Winters.  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj   She has a new book showcasing her beach series, out in March, I have already requested the library to order it, so far I have been lucky, and they have ordered all of her books!