Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? January 2020

I'm half way through John Grisham's new book The Guardians.   It's his third book about people sent to death row who are innocent.  One was non - fiction.  This and the other one , fiction.  Probably based somewhat on facts.

I'm liking it but it's hard to know if I like it because it's really good or because his last book The Reckoning was so awful.

In any case, I'm happy to read a book that I like, so far.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady 

I completely agree about Bill Bryson's The Body,  and pretty much everything he's written. I can read his A Walk in the Woods over and over. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.  (audio).  I'm 2 hrs into this and I don't see why all the fuss is about this book.

The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang. (graphic lgbtqi)  I haven't started it but I'm guessing it's popular because the library copy is very worn.

Respected Contributor

Last night I finished Freeze Frame by Peter May.  It is # 4 in the Enzo Macleod series-a "detective" series set in France.  I have mentioned this series and  this author before.  This is an excellent entry in the series with some plot twists and turns and a big surprise in the main character's private life.  Highly recommend!

Honored Contributor

Home Again, by Shirlee McCoy;  bk. 2
Home At Last, by Shirlee McCoy;  bk. 3
If Only I Could Tell You, by Hannah Beckerman;
Life and Other Inconveniences, by Kristan Higgins;
The Wedding Date, by Jasmine Guillory.
All good light reading for the extra days off from work the last couple of weeks.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Happy New Year! I am reading TWO BY TWO by Nicholas Sparks, I am halfway through it and it is very good!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Final girls by Riley Sager, this book was certainly not lacking suspense, and it pretty much kept me in the dark!

Again I am not sure what is up next, but will post when I finish!

Trusted Contributor

I finally started the Armand Gamache mystery series by Louise Penny! I've seen recommendations for it for years but kept putting it off. Just finished book 1 called Still Life.  It was silly to wait this long to finally enjoy this series! I've already put the next 3 books in the series on hold at my local library since there is a waiting list for them. How great to start the new year with a new mystery series to enjoy!! 

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 I love the Harry Bosch series. I have been reading them since the first one came out years ago. I just finished the latest Bosch/Ballard one. They're pretty good too. I also started watching Bosch on Prime. The TV version is also really good. I've always liked the actor who plays Harry. (Titus Welliver, I think that's how you spell his last name) So , if you have Prime, give the series a shot. I'm on episode 5.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Publishable By Death - St. Marin's Cozy Mystery Series #1 by ACF Bookens.

This book was very good and takes place on the Eastern Shore.  I always like a book that really teaches me something new; in this case, the Green Book.  I had heard of it, but I really never gave it too much thought until this book.

The only thing that I found odd was that every character was identified by race.  I have never come across that before.  Since the second book of the series is not out yet, it will be interesting to see if that continues or if it was just an introduction for the first book.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!